St Croix vs St Lucia vs Barbados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaturtle, we're delighted that you've chosen St. Croix for your husband's diving and I certainly understand your choosing not to go. If you haven't done so already just give us a call anytime and we'll get his space reserved. Keep in mind we can't dive the Pier on cruiseship days but he can either choose to take our west shore boat which leaves right off of the Pier and dives the wrecks and reefs on that end of the island, or take a shopping shuttle to Christiansted ($16rt) and get on our northshore boat that dives the wall and reefs. Either way we think he'll be quite impressed with the quality of scuba diving here.

Last edited:
I don't know if there are any logistics issues diving the STX pier while your big cruise ship is parked next to it or with the herd of people flocking around while you're getting in and out. I've only done the pier while no ships were there. Anchor Dive is quick and easy to get to the wall just off of Salt River with lots of site choices and they come back to the dock for surface interval. They will normally want you there at 8AM maybe 8:30 and you'll be done by 12. Davis Bay Beach at Carambola resort is a good shore dive and there is an on site dive op for tanks or complete gear. A couple hundred yard swim out to the wall and turn right, follow the wall and then return. You will probably have lots of company there as the cruise ships send car loads of passengers there for the day. OK if you don't mind the crowd and you'll probably have easy transportation to get there from the pier with everyone else going.

I'm pretty sure it is a Homeland Security rule that prohibits diving around a parked cruise ship in US Territory. That is what I have been told.

Reggie in NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just a quick recap of our trip. First of all, thank you all for the advice. I ended up diving with the husband and we ended up doing 1 dive in St Croix and 1 in St Lucia.
We went with Cane Bay Dive Shop in St Croix and were sorely disappointed. Their customer service is non existent and the dive was just ok. They weren't thrilled we wanted to do our own thing (kept mentioning to other divers that we were lucky they were letting us do our own dive....this is a shore dive, we are certified, there's no rule we need a guide) :shakehead:...and had we done the dive with the group, we would have been with DSDs with a max depth of 40 ft. We are experienced and it is an easy dive to navigate. But What really got me was the young lady who was stationed at the Cane Bay Dive Shop located in Cane Bay.
I have my PADI e-card on my phone but I need internet access to bring it up, she said they had no Internet (there's free wifi right next door which she failed to mention), said it didn't matter to see my card because I already signed my life away (in the liability release). Wow ....
After our mediocre dive, she made a huge deal of the fact we wanted to rinse our gear and ourselves (30 seconds max! We understand about conserving water). She glared (and I mean, evil eye glare that could melt you) at us the entire time and made us uncomfortable. There really wasn't anywhere to hang our stuff to dry. Then we had to wait in Cane Bay (where there isn't too much to do) for hours for the taxi (that we paid for) to take us back. We couldn't leave fast enough. It was just not fun. Guess I should have stuck with SCUBA whom I have used prior and know they are good.
In St Lucia, we dove with Dive Fair Helen and had the absolute opposite, absolutely loved it. We did "Superman's Flight" which was phenomenal, the sheer face dropping down to the abyss. That's a real wall dive to me. We even got to see a sea horse! The divemaster was so friendly and knowledgeable! The owner, Andre, truly enjoys what he does and is so passionate about conservation, it was refreshing to see. Boat was very comfortable and dive gear was in good shape. Had a hose onboard to rinse yourself and belongings.
Overall, I will be recommending Dive Fair Helen for my customers going to St Lucia and SCUBA in St Croix for those going to St Croix which happens fairly regularly since we are only the next island over!

I told you the Piton's would be good........glad you had a good one there.......

Back
Top Bottom