st. croix or hawii ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and i have recieved two free airline tickets to either St. Croix or Hawii and some other non diving areas(which we arent interested in). Any suggestions on which is better. Where to stay and what kind of sealife to expect. We are going mainly on a dive Vaca and am not to concerned with night life. also where to eat and what operators to use. Which has good shore diving?

scubaaaronh:
My wife and i have recieved two free airline tickets to either St. Croix or Hawii and some other non diving areas(which we arent interested in). Any suggestions on which is better. Where to stay and what kind of sealife to expect. We are going mainly on a dive Vaca and am not to concerned with night life. also where to eat and what operators to use. Which has good shore diving?

I have been to Maui several times and St. Croix once. My trip to St. Croix was only a couple of months ago.

In my opinion either place is great, whichever you choose you will not have made a mistake.

Generally speaking I found that St. Croix is less expensive overall. I am not only talking about the diving, but meals, gasoline, groceries, diving, almost everything. The rental cars on Maui are perhaps a little less expensive but with a little advanced shopping you can probably get good deals on both islands. Hotels or other lodging can range from moderately priced to high dollar on both islands, but after trying a few different places on Maui I like the "Sugar Beach" condos (a little time spent on Google will turn up several condos in this complex). For St. Croix we stayed at a hotel, and frankly I like condos more so next time we will probably look for a condo on the island. With this in mind the two experiences do not really compare in price or the level of the accomodation.

As far as the diving is concerned Maui has lots of colorful fish buth the coral is somewhat bland. St. Croix has some of the best coral I have ever seen, but not as many fish as Maui. The coral reef is very healthy and it runs for miles. On St. Croix all of my diving was on the north side of the island, I was told by some local divers that the west end has more colorful fish but the coral is not as plentiful. Shore diving is available on both islands. If you want to be able to do some deep dives from shore with long but managable swims then St. Croix is probably a better choice as in some locations the wall is only a couple of hundred yards from the beach and it drops to a few thousand feet. From Maui I am not aware of any shore dives with depths below 60 to 80 feet with a reasonalble swim out.

The visibility in Maui is probably a little better, most of my dives seemed to have vis in the 75 foot to 150 foot range, while St. Croix dives tended to be in the 50 foot to 100 foot vis range. Both islands have small creatures, and medium sized creatures. I saw more large stuff on Maui, but it may be only luck as I am told that there are plenty of large turtles and rays around St. Croix, I just didn't see many of them.

Both islands are in the United States, but for some reason if you travel to St. Croix you will need to have your passport to return to home. Another oddity of St. Croix is although the automobiles are standard style american cars where the driver sits on the left, you drive on the left hand side of the road. This is extremely unsetteling at first, but you eventually get used to it. On St. Croix drivers are generally some of the most polite I have ever come across, if anything you need to be looking out for stopped drivers who are allowing others to turn or enter the flow of traffic.

I hope this helps, I plan on returning to both places in the future so you really have a tough choice. I don't have anything bad to say about either place.

Mark Vlahos

Given that choice I'd do Hawaii without hesitation. (Which island is your ticket to?) Maybe I hit it wrong, but I wasn't all that impressed by the diving in St Croix. It was ok, but not as good as I expected based on things I'd read. Vis wasn't what I was expecting either.

Hawaii I do miss the color and coral a bit, but there's so many cool critters and unique sites, and some of my most memorable dives have been in Hawaii. Also, you gotta come up sometimes, and Hawaii is great above water. (Of course, St. Croix is closer and also probably winds up cheaper.)

My wife got this voucher from the school she was going to for getting a 4.0 for her masters in strategic management and the lady that we talked to from the airline company couldn't guarante which island in hawaii because of availability at the hotel we have to saty at with the voucher. I really wish these tickets were transferable because i really want to go back to Bonaire, but there free airline tickets so we are going to one or the other. Ok i guess my next question would be after being to bonaire which of the two would be the next best to go to because i really got spoiled on Bonaire with the diving. We were doing four to five dives a anytime we wanted to, that was awesome. It was great get up do two dives have lunch do a dive dinner than an evening or night dive. There was a day in there that we went and seen some of the rest of the island.

If you decide on St. Croix, be sure that you dive the pier. This is the only place I have ever been that I can see a sea horse or two every single dive. They are getting ready to dredge the peer soon, so this treasure will be lost forever... but at least the cruise ships will have a safe place to refuel. *sigh*

My husband and I have been to the Big Island three times since 2000, and Kauai once. We absolutely love Hawaii, especially the Big Island. As mentioned by Damselfish, don't expect colorful coral, but do expect heaps of beautiful tropical fish and turtles -- and also sharks, rays, dolphins, and whales. The manta ray night dive on the Big Island is fantastic, a "must-do" experience! Although boat diving is more typical, shore dives do exist and have been discussed in threads on the Hawaii O'Hana board.

The only places where we've ever done 4-5 dives a day are Bonaire, Curacao, and liveaboards. So I'm not sure you're going to get that same experience when visiting either Hawaii or St. Croix. (Although I have not been to St. Croix, so don't take my word on it-- it's not generally heralded as a shore diving destination, though). One of the things we love about Hawaii is that we do so many things -- two dives a day, plus some snorkelling (best for interacting with dolphins, for example), plus bodyboarding, plus some hiking, or a visit to Volcanos National Park, or horseback riding, or some other land-based activity. Or just lying on a beautiful beach!

It sounds like you may have the hotel as a part of your package, but if you are looking for accommodation, I recommend renting a condo. You can find lots of listings on www.vrbo.com and www.cyberrentals.com.

Have fun deciding -- I've heard good things about St. Croix, too, and I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what your choice!

Our hotel comes with the voucher and i am not really sure which hotel it is yet on hawii or which island for that matter. We have to send in the voucher and they will place us within one of the resorts on one of the islands in hawii. i kind of wish they could give us a little more heads up but it is a free trip so i am not going to complain. The only thing we will have to pay for is a car diving and meals. As far as where we are going to go i am still not sure and am hoping to still get more info on bot hawii and st croix. I would like to see some pics of the coral and life on hawii, so if anyone has any uploaded i would love to see them. Thanks for the responses so far, I think i am leaning towards hawii right now. but more info and pics could sway my mind.

Hey, go to the photo gallery and put in Hawaii and St. Croix and deicde for yourself.

Mark Vlahos:
I have been to Maui several times and St. Croix once. My trip to St. Croix was only a couple of months ago.

In my opinion either place is great, whichever you choose you will not have made a mistake.

Generally speaking I found that St. Croix is less expensive overall. I am not only talking about the diving, but meals, gasoline, groceries, diving, almost everything. The rental cars on Maui are perhaps a little less expensive but with a little advanced shopping you can probably get good deals on both islands. Hotels or other lodging can range from moderately priced to high dollar on both islands, but after trying a few different places on Maui I like the "Sugar Beach" condos (a little time spent on Google will turn up several condos in this complex). For St. Croix we stayed at a hotel, and frankly I like condos more so next time we will probably look for a condo on the island. With this in mind the two experiences do not really compare in price or the level of the accomodation.

As far as the diving is concerned Maui has lots of colorful fish buth the coral is somewhat bland. St. Croix has some of the best coral I have ever seen, but not as many fish as Maui. The coral reef is very healthy and it runs for miles. On St. Croix all of my diving was on the north side of the island, I was told by some local divers that the west end has more colorful fish but the coral is not as plentiful. Shore diving is available on both islands. If you want to be able to do some deep dives from shore with long but managable swims then St. Croix is probably a better choice as in some locations the wall is only a couple of hundred yards from the beach and it drops to a few thousand feet. From Maui I am not aware of any shore dives with depths below 60 to 80 feet with a reasonalble swim out.

The visibility in Maui is probably a little better, most of my dives seemed to have vis in the 75 foot to 150 foot range, while St. Croix dives tended to be in the 50 foot to 100 foot vis range. Both islands have small creatures, and medium sized creatures. I saw more large stuff on Maui, but it may be only luck as I am told that there are plenty of large turtles and rays around St. Croix, I just didn't see many of them.

Both islands are in the United States, but for some reason if you travel to St. Croix you will need to have your passport to return to home. Another oddity of St. Croix is although the automobiles are standard style american cars where the driver sits on the left, you drive on the left hand side of the road. This is extremely unsetteling at first, but you eventually get used to it. On St. Croix drivers are generally some of the most polite I have ever come across, if anything you need to be looking out for stopped drivers who are allowing others to turn or enter the flow of traffic.

I hope this helps, I plan on returning to both places in the future so you really have a tough choice. I don't have anything bad to say about either place.

Mark Vlahos

Very nice comparison. Good post. Having said that I would rank the diving in St. Croix as average Caribbean diving. Would not go back there if it was all about the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom