St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is the pier something a snorkeler could also enjoy or is it too deep? any good snorkeling from boats? if we go, my husband will dive (and buddy up with a divemaster or whoever is along on boat dives) but I am only a snorkeler... is it somewhere I would like to go along once or twicer, or not? thanks!

is the pier something a snorkeler could also enjoy or is it too deep? any good snorkeling from boats? if we go, my husband will dive (and buddy up with a divemaster or whoever is along on boat dives) but I am only a snorkeler... is it somewhere I would like to go along once or twicer, or not? thanks!

For the most part, the water is too deep around the pier, except for closer to the shore. You could enter the water where divers enter/exit on the south side of the pier and snorkel around there - a few years back there were quite a few starfish in the area. From the boat would also be too deep. Snorkeling from the shore can be good - I used to snorkel quite a bit, north of the pier (could still see the pier) and as far out as 100 yards and saw a lot of sea life. It’s spread out and you have to be patient, but it’s there. Don’t expect to be surrounded by fish.

Snorkeling at the Pier should definitely be done from the shore.

Enter the water on the South side where there are a set of cinder block steps. (you have to step over the chain fence). The entrance is rocky, so watch your step but once in the water, swim out close to the debris and rocks on your right. Lots of sea life, mostly smaller fish but there are a couple of big Puffer Fish hiding in the debris and for the past couple of weeks, the largest Blue Tang I have ever seen (dinner plate size).. when you get to the end you will find lots of Sweepers and smaller Yellow Tails. If you go right toward the Pier there are schools of Blue Tang.and the usual Sargent Majors. you can continue to the Pier and turn left and look for Sea Horses - about 5-6 rows out - bottom is 15 ft but Sea Horses are at abut 6-8 ft. it is a little deeper and dark under the Pier and viz can be less than ideal especially near the shore end

If you choose, you can turn left at the end of the rocks and head out to the "dolphins" (tie-ups for the old pier). Keep your eyes out on the bottom, there are Peacock Flounders and Rays in the sand. At the dolphin you can be pretty sure you will see at least 1 Turtle and be surrounded by schools of small Bar Jacks. Lots of life within the structure including Angle Fish and Trumpet Fish - plus all the usual suspects. Come back to the next dolphin, closer to the pier, and the coral growth is very good. Plus there have been small Butterfly fish and juvenile Angel Fish. Swim back along the rocks, to the entry point - watch for Cow Fish and the Puffers and small Trumpet Fish.

Part of the fun is watching the scuba divers near the bottom - sometimes they will stop to lock at something and if they do, explore that spot carefully.

Getting out takes some balance and timing with the small waves. There are a couple of rocks (depending on the tide) you can sit on to remove our fins.

The Pier is a great snorkel spot - as much as I enjoy diving at the Pier, the snorkeling is also very enjoyable.and we probably snorkel it as often as we dive it anymore.

For the most part, the water is too deep around the pier, except for closer to the shore. You could enter the water where divers enter/exit on the south side of the pier and snorkel around there - a few years back there were quite a few starfish in the area. From the boat would also be too deep. Snorkeling from the shore can be good - I used to snorkel quite a bit, north of the pier (could still see the pier) and as far out as 100 yards and saw a lot of sea life. It’s spread out and you have to be patient, but it’s there. Don’t expect to be surrounded by fish.
Thanks so very much for your reply!

Snorkeling at the Pier should definitely be done from the shore.

Enter the water on the South side where there are a set of cinder block steps. (you have to step over the chain fence). The entrance is rocky, so watch your step but once in the water, swim out close to the debris and rocks on your right. Lots of sea life, mostly smaller fish but there are a couple of big Puffer Fish hiding in the debris and for the past couple of weeks, the largest Blue Tang I have ever seen (dinner plate size).. when you get to the end you will find lots of Sweepers and smaller Yellow Tails. If you go right toward the Pier there are schools of Blue Tang.and the usual Sargent Majors. you can continue to the Pier and turn left and look for Sea Horses - about 5-6 rows out - bottom is 15 ft but Sea Horses are at abut 6-8 ft. it is a little deeper and dark under the Pier and viz can be less than ideal especially near the shore end

If you choose, you can turn left at the end of the rocks and head out to the "dolphins" (tie-ups for the old pier). Keep your eyes out on the bottom, there are Peacock Flounders and Rays in the sand. At the dolphin you can be pretty sure you will see at least 1 Turtle and be surrounded by schools of small Bar Jacks. Lots of life within the structure including Angle Fish and Trumpet Fish - plus all the usual suspects. Come back to the next dolphin, closer to the pier, and the coral growth is very good. Plus there have been small Butterfly fish and juvenile Angel Fish. Swim back along the rocks, to the entry point - watch for Cow Fish and the Puffers and small Trumpet Fish.

Part of the fun is watching the scuba divers near the bottom - sometimes they will stop to lock at something and if they do, explore that spot carefully.

Getting out takes some balance and timing with the small waves. There are a couple of rocks (depending on the tide) you can sit on to remove our fins.

The Pier is a great snorkel spot - as much as I enjoy diving at the Pier, the snorkeling is also very enjoyable.and we probably snorkel it as often as we dive it anymore.

Thanks for the very helpful response!! I think it sounds like a great time a few times when hubby is not diving so I have company... I just love seeing the sea life. I have booked at Cottages By the Sea and we will have a rental car or jeep so it is fairly close, correct? I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks so very much for your reply!
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!! We will be staying at Cottages By the Sea- very active middle age but like low key, quiet and laid back places- don't want night life, shopping, crowds, etc. Thanks again!

Cottages By-the-Sea is only 5 minutes away from the Pier.

By the way, when done snorkeling/diving the Pier - end the event by having lunch at Polly's. Sit out front and watch the divers and snorkelers coming and going.

I have never tried it - but the snorkeling in front of Cottages is supposedly pretty good.

Also, have your husband do a boat dive at the end of the Pier - Bat Fish and Sea Horses and more.

And the new hotel on the beach - The Fred - has good food (and there is another new restaurant in
Fredriksted that is reportedly very good).

The other new restaurant in Frederiksted is Cibone - reportedly excellent.

You can also drive a few minutes to the North and snorkel at Rainbow Beach. The snorkeling is not as good as it was before Maria. But having lunch at Rhythms is always a treat. Best to go during the week as it gets crowded on the weekend.

Also, pick up a chicken dinner at La Reine Chicken Shack for some "island" food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom