SSI Gas blender and oxygen compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On SSI Gas Blender course there is a list of materials that has high compatibility, acceptable compatibility and unacceptable compatibility with oxygen.
Unacceptable materials include carbon steel and aluminum. What is the difference between carbon steel and aluminum compared to the materials that are used for alu and steel cylinders?

On SSI Gas Blender course there is a list of materials that has high compatibility, acceptable compatibility and unacceptable compatibility with oxygen.
Unacceptable materials include carbon steel and aluminum. What is the difference between carbon steel and aluminum compared to the materials that are used for alu and steel cylinders?
None. Both are widely used even outside the scuba industry, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a medical or welding o2 cylinder anywhere made of something else.

I haven't taken that course, but just pulled up the Book for it and found that part that I think you're referring to. I'm *guessing* that they're referring to all of the parts other than the storage cylinders here... to valves, fittings, lines, seals, etc, which would perhaps be more of an issue for contamination or heat build-up that could lead to ignition -- I think? Large surface area, and isn't going to see any high velocity or localized heating due to the large surface area (relatively speaking). Elsewhere in the book they outright state:
Diving cylinders are usually manufactured from aluminum or steel alloys, although carbon fiber is now more recognized.

I've found the folks at SSI pretty open to discussion questionable areas of the training material - reach out to them with the question and see if they might be open to clarifying the statements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom