SSI Accident management flowchart poorly designed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is UX?

The chart is clearly a learning tool. We don't use charts in emergency situations......

I explained it above..........

UX = User experience.

Who is we? EMTs or others trained in first response?

Unless you respond to emergencies for a living, flow charts, if done correctly, are very helpful in facilitating the correct response to a relatively rare occurrence such as a real dive emergency. As the OP said it's one reason they are used extensively in aviation - to facilitate a correct response to a rare occurrence such as a major system failure in flight.

A flow chart is no replacement for training, but it can (and has proven to be - at least in the aviation world) helpful during real emergencies. It can also be used as a training aid.

However, SSI definitely missed the mark on this. It's horrendous.

I’m fully with @franciscogalarza on this one. Check lists and flow charts are super useful, it has been proven time and again. My favorite example is this study by the WHO Surgical checklist cuts deaths by 40%, study reveals that showed simple checklists for surgical procedures reduce death rates by 40% !!! Just remind yourself, these are to help highly trained, highly skilled surgeons that are clearly aware of the responsibility at their hands. If they can benefit, surely the benefit be manifold for someone who does a procedure once in a blue moon, whatever the procedure may be.

And yes, the SSI chart is terrible - despite the noble intention.

Back
Top Bottom