Sri Lanka recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm heading to Sri Lanka later this year in Dec/Jan for a cycling trip and was planning on squeezing in a week of diving while I was there.

Is anyone able to recommend some good locations, dive shops, accommodation, etc? Keeping in mind I'll be a solo female traveller and this will be my first trip to Sri Lanka.

Has anyone had any experience with the gear over there? I'm reluctant to lug my gear over there seeing as my primary motive for this trip is cycling.

Any advice welcome :)

Any decent dive operator will have rental gear in good condition. As in many places in Asia the quality varies and there are both very professional as well as unprofessional shops. Talk to them and check the gear before using. Not always a guarantee of quality but you can also check if a particular shop is listed with a major dive agency such as PADI or SSI. Check the agency website for listings.

Check if the equipment is serviced and in good condition and wether the boat carries safety equipment including emergency O2 and first aid supplies.

Dec/Jan the diving will be on the west and south coast. A good source of information for diving in SL is www.divesrilanka.com

Dive shops on the east and south coast can be found in Negombo, Colombo, Beruwela, Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna. In my opinion, as someone who has dived all around Sri Lanka, Negombo and Colombo have better diving in contrast to well known locations in the south. Reef diving is on flat sandstone ledges (Colombo, Negombo) or around rocky pinnacles and outcrops (south coast). Colombo has some world class wreck diving while there are a few decent wrecks in Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna as well.

You can PM me if you need further information.

Cheers,

Nishan

Thanks for your help :)

Nishan, Thanks for the advice I might PM you closer to my trip when I start to lock in dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom