SR-1 for winter diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulvay

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have used my wonderful SR-1 for close to 100 dives since I first go it and I LOVE it. I'm wondering if it's safe to use for winter diving? I'm going to be doing some Lake Michigan diving this winter...

Thanks, Paul.

Great to hear.

The SR1 has passed the CE testing to be dove at temperatures less than 10 degrees C, which equates to 40 degrees F.

Sherwood Scuba

That's great news. Thanks for the quick response

What about water at 0-1C degree? Winter is way colder than 10C ; )

I'm interested to know what's the official word on it. Although I know my SR1 worked pretty well in water varying between 1 and 3 degrees.

There is not much I can tell you. The less than 10 is a CE test that is out there. There are no other tests that I am aware of. Any additional information would be anecdotal.

I can tell you that the SR1 is not built like the Blizzard which is built specifically for cold water. The SR1, which was built for breathing performance, may work just fine for you in those temps, but it certainly wasn't built for that specific purpose.

Sherwood Scuba

It does indeed breathes very well.

And speaking of the devil, I actually managed to freeze it yesterday. But I think you can only so far in 0C water with an 1h30 SI with the regs outside in sub-zero temperature and the hot-water thermos sitting on the counter-top at home ; ( I accidentally purged it while the 1st stage was outside the water and it free-flowed pretty intensely.

There is a whole discussion about the problems the SR-1 has with cold water and free flowing. It is not a cold water reg. Look for a Blizzard or Oasis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom