Squid Eggs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One of the research divers with CA Fish & Game has been asking me for reports of recent sightings of squid eggs within the MLPA's. I saw several patches (about 3' in diameter) of them last week at about 60'-80' in the sand right at the base of Mono-Lobo wall, and I heard reports last Saturday that these patches were now considerably larger. If anybody has any other recent sightings of squid eggs I will gladly pass it along to the F&G guys and let them go check it for themselves.

Thanks,
Bruce

yes, they've been quite prevalent out at the Metridium Fields. They're spread out, but I recall a few weeks back swimming back underwater from the fields towards the beach, seeing several patches of them.

I'm fuzzy as to where the MLPA borders are, but we've seen a few small patches (3-5ft diameter) as well, though this was a few months ago (middle of July), also at the met fields. Are they common around here?

On the sandy outcropping south of mono lobo from about 65fsw to past 90fsw where we turned towards the rocks there were eggs in patches all over.

It's MPA (Marine Protected Area), not MLPA (Marine Life Protection Act, the
law which made the MPAs happen). I posted an eyeball description
of where the MPAs are in:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3880856-post3.html

Mono Lobo is inside the Pt. Lobos State Marine Reserve. No Take.

Squid eggs can show up in any of the sandy patches in season (summer
into fall).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom