Squaw Creek reservoir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody know if it is open or not? Last I heard it was closed, but that was a while back...

I don't see Squaw Creek opening any time soon, due to the location of Luminant's Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Station Units 1 and 2, and their pending application to build Units 3 and 4. When I was diving there in 2000-2001 doing my Divemaster training, I couldn't believe that you were actually that close to the cooling water inlets for 1 and 2. And even though 3 and 4 are not planned to take water from Squaw Creek, it is impractical to assume that security requirements in this day and time would permit scuba divers into a water body that close to four Nuclear power plants.

Last I heard it was still 'closed' to divers.

Yup closed to divers and they are talking about adding two more units!
So with units three and four we will have a hot tub for diving in the winter!

Actually, Units 3 and 4 won't use the lake, they will draw water directly from Lake Granbury, circulate it through cooling towers, then through a treatment plant to remove the accumulated chlorides, and return the remaining water back to Lake Granbury.

Additionally, I don't know if anyone accessed the "petition" or not, but there are quite a few humorous, as well as incorrect, statements in there. Squaw Creek Reservoir was built and paid for by Luminant (TXU), and is not owned by the State of Texas. And while TPWD may assist in stocking the lake, I am pretty sure this is done to maintain an ecological and environmental balance of organisms in the lake (since it does dump it's overflow into Squaw Creek, which ultimately drains back into the Brazos at Tres Rios).

Hate to burst any bubbles, but much to our collective chagrin, I don't think any recreational divers will be accessing Squaw Creek any time soon.

Cheers!

Yup closed to divers and they are talking about adding two more units!
So with units three and four we will have a hot tub for diving in the winter!

Shucks... I really thought the hot tub sounded nice :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom