Sprint / Nextel Nightmare!!! Read this if you have Sprint or Nextel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTsunami

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sprint Misprint

We have all heard stories of billing errors. I can understand that mistakes occur, but companies need to work to resolve these issues promptly, something that Sprint together with Nextel failed to do. I had seven months of horror with Sprint, and in this article I will share how I finally got their billing mistake resolved.

When I opened my July 2005 Sprint bill, I had the unpleasant surprise of seeing a $460.00 bill. Shocked by this I examined the bill and found that I was being charged for a phone number that I never had. I called to inform Sprint of the situation, which we assumed was identity theft. I was transferred to the fraud department to file a report that was never followed up on. I called my local police department and filed a report. Sprint assured me the situation would be resolved, but failed to tell me it would take more than six months.

After many follow up calls to customer service, it was determined it was not identity theft but just a billing error. Relived by that news, I notified the police department. I was informed that identity thefts are very rarely solved. Sprint issued me a temporary credit because the amount was too high for anyone in the customer service department to issue.

I was eagerly awaiting my June bill, to see the final outcome of the issue. I was mistaken, again my June bill showed the same mysterious number and charges associated with it of $145.75. I started calling Sprint, and they once again told me the issue would be resolved and issued me a temporary credit for the charges. One thing that really bothered me about Sprint is every time I asked to speak with a manager; they were always unavailable and would not allow me to hold for a manager. This started to get very frustrating. I was told to “Be patient we will resolve the issue.”

By the end of June, my temporary credits had expired and I was now past due on my account for charges that were not mine, so service was disconnected on my phone. When I tried to call customer service I was automatically transferred to a collections department in either India or the Philippines. I would have to explain to the associate that this was a billing error and I am not paying for someone else’s phone bill. They were rather rude with me and after trying to explain my situation they would magically transfer me back to customer service in the United States.

Now that were living in the era of political correctness, I am disappointed with Sprint. Why would a giant like Sprint send American Jobs overseas and not give them the full range of duties of Americans performing the same work? Sprint saves money by placing call centers over seas. In the same breath Sprint says because you are foreign you can not do as good of a job as Americans so we will limit you in the amount of customer service you can provide. Not only is that an inconvenience for sprint customers, it also sends a message that the job force in India are not our equals. People could correctly interpret these types of corporate decisions as somewhat racist in nature.
I did get more temporary credits because no one in customer service could resolve the issue by producing a permanent credit and my service was temporally restored to my phone. By this time I had spent more than 20 hours on the phone with Sprint. Little did I know I was just getting started. Sprint’s customer service representatives were now starting to fill out a form to escalate my situation. I was always advised that a supervisor would respond to the request within three to five business days. Sprint representatives filled out at least eight of these requests on my behalf. None of the escalated cases were ever followed up on. By this time I had been billed another month for the number. Now I had more than $500 Dollars in charges and my service had been interrupted four times.

A friend suggested I visit a local sprint store. I did and spoke with the manager. He tried his best to resolve the issue, but his only uplink to customer service was the same method I had been using. Fortunately, we were able to secure more temporary credits.

When September rolled around, my bill provided me with a chuckle. Not only was I charged again for the number, but I was also charged a $150.00 cancellation fee for a phone number that was never mine. By this time the charges and fees totaled almost $800.00 dollars with many interruptions to service. Sprint always acknowledged that it was a billing mistake, but everyone I was speaking with was unable to resolve the situation. The fact that I could never speak with a manager or the person who was going to authorize the credit on my bill was becoming very frustrating.

Understanding that my 40 plus hours on the phone with Sprint was not paying off and the retail outlets did not provide any additional assistance I contacted the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint. I filed the complaint online and was called by Sprint within 72 hours. The woman on the phone was very nice and understanding and assured me she would have the issue resolved within three days, but probably the next day. Three weeks later she never called back and my service was disconnected again. Did I mention it was January 2006? Remember, this started in July of 2005.

With my service once again disconnected I was talking to a call center in India and finally transferred back to the United States. Fortunately for me I was transferred to the Business General Customer Care Department. (877) 812-1223. When you call this Sprint number directly a human actually answers the phone. They resolved the issue immediately. Well immediately for them, seven months later for me. I have used more than 10 different phone numbers to Contact Sprint, but this one is different.

In summary, more than $800.00 dollars in charges, at least six service interruptions and seven months of agony.

From a consumer’s aspect, I have some recommendations for Sprint. The simplest of which is to give more authority to your customer service agents. Customer service agents should be able to resolve customer issues, hence the name. From my 70 hours working with them, they are pleasant and possess high-quality training and sincerely want to help, but operate with their hands tied.

Whoever supervises the customer service department or the department that is responsible for authorizing the permanent credits that the hard working agents kept filling out for me should be reorganized. It is very counter productive to have the agents fill out a form, if the person in charge of authorizing them never follows up. The fact that I was never allowed to speak with them in person was also very frustrating. Additionally it works against the agent’s productivity and cost the company money in the form of producing useless paperwork. Assuming that Sprint pays their agents $10.00 an hour not including the hourly cost of the associated equipment and the 800 calls, I can assume my situation cost sprint at least $700.00 dollars. Including my cost of at least 90 hours at $40.00 an hour and lost productivity from having service interrupted, and not collecting the money from the rightful owner of the account the total cost of this incident could exceed $5,100 dollars.

I have no idea how often situations like this occur. If companies empower employees to resolve issues it would save everyone a huge amount of time, money and most importantly keep customers happy.

I've had a Nextel phone for more than 3 years with no problems. I hope that is not about to change.

I can relate to this, my problem came from MCI long distance phone service. Many phone calls and many months later got my problem resolved. Long story just as yours, very painful process. Glad it is over.

I had the same problem with sprint after 5 years of service with them. I no longer have sprint and the problem has still not been resolved after 5 months. And they have sent the account to collections rather than deal with it. I refuse to pay a bill that is not mine and they wont even consider that the numbers they say I talked to for 879 minutes in one month are not a # that has even been on my bill before or since and. I dont know where the breakdown came from but they have not been willing to deal with this issue. Luckily I was able to take my phone # to my new carrier.

I had a similar problem with Verizon. I suddenly discovered that I had a 2nd phone on my account. The local store had FUBAR'd & put some other customers phone as an addon to my account. They called the # and talked to the person, confirming that they didn't share my name or address.

After that it only took about 3 months to get the damned thing removed from my bill & have my account credited for the charges. I did not pay them, but I did have to call their people in India several times beofre it all went away.

Many years ago I had a cell phone with AT&T. Almost every month there were billing errors, ALWAYS in their favor, yes that is right I never discovered a single penny of error in my favor. My problems were much smaller than those in the above post, and in my case the errors were always eventually resolved, but it did take time and other errors always came up and needed continuing attention.

A couple of years ago I ported my phone number and switched to Sprint. Different company entirely, but I often noticed similar errors with Sprint and agian, ALWAYS in their favor. These errors would eventually be resolved, again with new mistakes arising that needed continuing vigilance.

In my case with both of my cell phone companies the billing errors seemed to surround the central issue of roaming and whether the minutes should be included in my free minutes or billed separately. It would seem to me that if the errors were in fact errors there should be some sort of discrepency that would periodically fall in my favor, but that NEVER happened. I am currently looking for a new company, but am waiting for the right telephone handset coupled with the most appropriate service plan.

Mark Vlahos

I had an interesting go with AT&T (Cingular), after having been a customer for something like 7 years. I added service for Mexico when I went there for a week. I was told I could cancel it anytime I wanted. When I returned, I called and asked to have it cancelled. I was told it had been cancelled, but it showed up the next month. I again called and was told I'd get a credit and that the service had been cancelled. This repeated for six months. I finally figured out how to discontinue the Mexico service. ... I switched to Sprint. Then I wrote the office of the president of Cingular. It took about 3 weeks, but I got a call and an apology and a refund and was asked if there was anything they could do to get me to come back.

US phone providers are all BS.... I have used a lot of international callling so that I have been regarded as a VIP customer... Especially, when you try to terminate the service, it used to be a nightmare because they intend to punish you.... Even, I sued one company once....

Among U.S. cell phone providers, Sprint is considered among the worst regarding customer service. The Nextel merger has, if anything, made things worse. Their website is even more difficult to work in now.

I've come close to dropping Sprint on a couple occasions. About every two years something gets screwed up with my account. My worst moment was when my monthly auto-payment was cut off by Sprint, but they failed to notify me for two months until the day they cut off my phone service. I've also received a phone with unexplainable "software update problems", and on one occasion I had to write THREE letters to Sprint over an 8-week period telling them to turn off a feature I didn't use. None of the letters had any effect, yet one phone call to their service department and it gets reconciled with a couple clicks of the mouse.

All my friends and family tell me to get Verizon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom