Springtime practice in DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HomerJay

Registered
Reaction score
I am a rather new diver who just got certified last year. I have 20 logged dives, and plan to add some more at the end of May in the Keys. I did OW in Millbrook, and know that it probably isn't advisable to dive it wet before June. Did my first dive trip in November and went to Coz. Can't wait to get wet again, but sure would love to blast out the cobwebs first.

Two questions:
In the DC area, where/how is there a good way to get in a practice dive to do a couple buoyancy drills. My pictures from Thanksgiving gave me a pretty big wake up call, and I've lost almost 30 lbs. since then, so I would also like to check if my lead requirements have changed as well. Do any dive shops offer an "open pool" session or anything?

After I get back, I would love to get out to Millbrook and dive with you guys to improve my skills. You mind if a newbie hangs around to try to sponge off some good diving habits? I want to pursue this sport long term, and intend on striving for excellence. What exposure suit would you recommend I get for Millbrook adventures? Should I start out by getting a 7mil and waiting on the dry suit until I have cut my teeth a little more, or should I just go for it and get the dry suit. What is the general consensus on the proper skill level a diver should have before they go dry?

Any and all comments are welcome.
HomerJay

HomerJay once bubbled...
I am a rather new diver who just got certified last year. I have 20 logged dives, and plan to add some more at the end of May in the Keys. I did OW in Millbrook, and know that it probably isn't advisable to dive it wet before June. Did my first dive trip in November and went to Coz. Can't wait to get wet again, but sure would love to blast out the cobwebs first.

Two questions:
In the DC area, where/how is there a good way to get in a practice dive to do a couple buoyancy drills. My pictures from Thanksgiving gave me a pretty big wake up call, and I've lost almost 30 lbs. since then, so I would also like to check if my lead requirements have changed as well. Do any dive shops offer an "open pool" session or anything?

After I get back, I would love to get out to Millbrook and dive with you guys to improve my skills. You mind if a newbie hangs around to try to sponge off some good diving habits? I want to pursue this sport long term, and intend on striving for excellence. What exposure suit would you recommend I get for Millbrook adventures? Should I start out by getting a 7mil and waiting on the dry suit until I have cut my teeth a little more, or should I just go for it and get the dry suit. What is the general consensus on the proper skill level a diver should have before they go dry?

Any and all comments are welcome.
HomerJay

The Atlantis Rangers run a couple of checkout dives every year. The next (and last) one will be at Millbrook on May 17. Check www.AtlantisRangers.org for more info.

Homerjay,
welcome to our sport..
Millbrook is warming up quite nicely right now. I got certified several years back and my first dive after cert was on opening day in Millbrook. The next weekend I was doing Aow in a drysuit. I probably have 30 dives in a 7 mm and probably 500 in a drysuit. Drysuit skills will be one that you will be glad that you accuried...and it is never to early to start. If I need more than a 5mm I am in a drysuit.

Any time you need someone to dive with just let me know. If the ocean is not calling I am probably at Millbrook
http://www.virginiascuba.com/

Thanks. Looks like I will have to start doing some drysuit research. I'll probably take this over to the exposure suit section, but does anyone have any recommendations?
-HomerJay

Before buying a dry suit I rented from Aquatic Adventures in Alex. (OSS suits) and Annapolis Scuba (DUI). This is a low risk way to test competing suits.

Of course, I'd suggest a drysut first.

PS. Atlantis Rangers is a great group. I dived with them last year and plan to again this year.

HomerJay once bubbled...
Thanks. Looks like I will have to start doing some drysuit research. I'll probably take this over to the exposure suit section, but does anyone have any recommendations?
-HomerJay

well, since you dive locally, if you are the right size you can try one of mine. I have 3 different ones that can show you the differences. I have 2 DUI's and a neoprene oneil. they will fit someone in the 5'10 -6'3 180-230 range 11boot.
Just let me know

Back
Top Bottom