Spring straps - securing the buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassus

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up a set of the spring straps and I really like them; however the buckle-to-post connection isn't secure at all and the buckles will slip off the posts as soon as I remove the fins (using Apollo Bio-fins). The pin in the buckle doesn't seem to be low enough or close enough for a secure fit against the base of the post; I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a method for fixing this without having to get access to a machine shop....

While I appreciate succinct replies, I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate? I don't see a way that those would really help.

fin_fix.JPG
[/url][/IMG]

I assume your straps are the type with the metal tips with the figure 8 shaped hole where the larger part of the hole is able to slip over the larger head of the post and then the smaller part of the hole locks into the narrower neck of the post.

If this is the case, with the straps on the fin, put one tie wrap around the post between the buckle and the fin (keep it loose for now) take a second tie wrap, run it thru the first and around one edge of the buckle, repeat for the other side of the buckle if desired, then cinch everything up.

Hey Thal:
Please see the below images. Each pair of our Spring Straps includes four additional stainless steel bolts and ny-lock nuts. Each of the Large Post (and Small Post) attachment plates have an extra set of holes. Use the bolts/nuts in these hole to secure the attachment plates to the fins.

I just picked up a set of the spring straps and I really like them; however the buckle-to-post connection isn't secure at all and the buckles will slip off the posts as soon as I remove the fins (using Apollo Bio-fins). The pin in the buckle doesn't seem to be low enough or close enough for a secure fit against the base of the post; I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a method for fixing this without having to get access to a machine shop....

Attachments

• 9Untitled.jpg
    9Untitled.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00869sm.jpg
    DSC00869sm.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00868sm.jpg
    DSC00868sm.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 124
Hey Thal:
Please see the below images. Each pair of our Spring Straps includes four additional stainless steel bolts and ny-lock nuts. Each of the Large Post (and Small Post) attachment plates have an extra set of holes. Use the bolts/nuts in these hole to secure the attachment plates to the fins.
Thanks Mike -

I had that much figured out; the problem is that the posts on the fins are much shorter than those in on the fin in your photo; the second bolt slides right over the top of it. I tried using the small post buckles but the hole is too small for the flared end of the fin post to fit through it (the metal disc inside keeps it from being able to bend to fit through the small opening).

Looks like Steve's method would work; I just need to take a look. Thanks to both of you for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom