Spring Straps- Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganScott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm sure I've seen on here someone making their own heel spring straps... But I can't find the thread. I've gone thru boco pages and tried to "search" but I come up with nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

I looked at doing DIY spring straps. By the time I sourced SS springs that would work, it was just one hell of a lot easier to buy some Manta spring straps. If you wanted to make a bunch of them it was worth the effort. Not so much for a single set.

Total cost should be $20-ish to DIY a set. There's nothing to it, and the springs are very easy to obtain, just buy them from McMaster (see the other threads); they run about $7 each now in stainless.

Use stainless steel "anchor shackles", not the "S" clips referenced. I picked these up for about two bucks at one of the local fishery supply houses here in town. Any boat store will have them, too. They have a screw that goes through them, and they work really well for Jet Fins, where there's a nice hole in the rubber to put them through on the mount, but will also work around plastic knob-type securing mechanisms. A drop of blue loc-tite helps them stay secure, but appropriate torque on the screw will work just fine.

The last piece you need is vinyl tubing. Lowes, Home Depot, and the ilk all have it for about a buck a foot. You need less than a foot, cut in half, to slip over the springs.

If you can't get done for ~$20 a pair, you're doing it wrong. :)

I looked at doing DIY spring straps. By the time I sourced SS springs that would work, it was just one hell of a lot easier to buy some Manta spring straps. If you wanted to make a bunch of them it was worth the effort. Not so much for a single set.

This is the DIY forum, not the DIE forum. :D

While that LP sale price is attractive (Manta Spring Fin Straps With Stainless Steel Clip) it just not the same thing as made them myself. Next thing yhou know, you'll be hiring somebody to walk the dog and god know what else.:shocked2:

Next thing yhou know, you'll be hiring somebody to walk the dog and god know what else.:shocked2:

Don't know about walking the dog, but cleaning the house? Now were talking!

Unless you are straped for cash, I don't think building your own is worth it.

Thanks, I know sometimes it's a bit wierd to try to make stuff yourself, but some of us just HAVE to. I think we're born that way. I can't really explain it, just gotta do it.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom