Spring Straps for Mares Avanti Aquattro - What size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my gf would like to get spring straps for her Avanti Quattro before our next dive trip. I am looking at the Mares ones and the XS Scuba ones. I measured the distance between the fin nubs when the buckles were closed as 10.5" from nub around the heel to the other nub. What size of each of these would be best?

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking of getting spring straps but didnt like the price on the ones that I liked the best and also didnt know what length to get.

My solution was to make my own straps out of flat bungee cord. Used gorilla glue and hand stitched the ends of the bungee to the clips that attached my old straps to the fin. Then put the fin on and pinch a loop in the bungee that makes the bungee the tightness you want. Then glue and stitch the loop in place and you have custom fitted bungee straps with a loop to slip your finger in to get them on and off. I used flat bungee and heavy test fishing line to make these straps. I have about 40 dives on them and love them. I have spinal cord damage that made it difficult getting my fins on and off with the standard straps and these bungee straps have made it far far easier to do. Perfect solution and it cost me less than $3.00 total to make both straps. It only took me about 15 minutes to make them, and that was while figuring out how to do it as I went along. Now I could probably make a pair in 8 to 10 minutes easily.

The XS Scuba spring straps are the best on the market, bar none. Have a fin strap fail can be catastrophic. Reallocate funds as needed...

OK looks like the 10" XS Scuba is a winner. Do they all come with a pull-tab now? The pictures online didn't show that, but a video review showed it.

Yes the newest models do, but you don't really need them. I'd slip middle and index finger in the gap between the side of your foot and fin post. Then trace your fingers to the heel and pull. It's much easier on your finger muscles to pull the straps off this way instead of gripping the tiny tab.

I cut off my tabs immediately after installing them. The tab can help in getting your fingers between the heel and the strap, but I find that I really didn't need them after experiences with other spring strap tabs.

DAMMIT! The 8" ones were way too tight. I am gonna have to get her the 10" XS Scuba spring straps and move it up to the 2nd hole.

Keep the 8" if you can't return them, some fins have their post closer to the edge of the foot pocket, so even with the same size fin you'd need to get a shorter strap.

Keep the 8" if you can't return them, some fins have their post closer to the edge of the foot pocket, so even with the same size fin you'd need to get a shorter strap.
Yep, I am not gonna return them till she tries out the 10" ones

Awesome! the 10" ones worked out great. I am going to return the 8" ones when I get a chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom