Spring Straps and Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting a pair of spring straps soon but I dont know which type are the best to go with my yellow Scubapro Twin Jet fins. I am hoping to find straps that wont offset the buoyancy of my fins. The yellow fins happen to be ever so slightly buoyant and I dont want to put springs on there that will make the setup negativly buoyant. Can anyone attest to the straps causing negative buoyancy and which spring straps do you prefer with scubapro twin jets. I found these for starters http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapstwinjetfins.asp

Thanks

I make them, but dunno if they'd make yellow twin jets negative or not. You're typically looking at something less than 1/2 a pound per spring in dry weight, as a pair mailed usually comes in right at a lb or so.

Funny lol but I am not swimming with sharks and I dont think the 1 pound trout around here would dare take on me :wink: but back to my question. If a spring srap is 1/2 to 3/4 pound does anyone know what the buoyancy of those twin jet fins is. I cant find a spec anywhere.

I don't know the bouyancy of the fins & it seems you're in fresh water, so it's a bit less that salt.

I think if you use 1/2 lb per spring you'll likely be erring silghtly on the heavy side.

You may have to fill a tub of water & then see how much it takes to sink a fin.

I put a 1.5 lb ankle weight on my fins and it pulled both fins down with ease so I fear that spring straps will be to heavy. I have to wear 1.5 lb ankle weights to help compensate for the buoyant fins and my 7mm boots. I dont like wearing weights but if I lose a fin than at least I will be able to find it again if is yellow and floats. I have been there when several people have lost expensive fins to the abyss. I guess I will stick with regular straps unless someone knows of something I could do to counteract the negativity of the straps. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom