Spring fed lakes in Wisconsin......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalswager

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got my license while in Mexico and lived mostof my life in Wisconsin. When I was young I remember some crystal clear lakes in northern Wisconsin. I specifically remember a couple lakes you could see right to the bottom from the boat and I believe it was around 30 ft. Does anybody have any experience diving this type of lake? Would they allow scuba diving? I plan on diving all the hot spots in the tropics during the winter months but considering options for more diving while at home here in Wisconsin. I prefer to dive when there is great visibility. Thanks for the feedback!

See you at the bottom and remember................be safe!:coffee:

My experience on most inland lakes is that if you go real early in season you may get some ok visibility, but then they turn warm water rises and as the sun shines the algae bloom then YUCK! probably caused by run off like farm and fertilizers and pesticides & herbicides ,failed septics and so on, silt from erosion too much building! boat traffic,,,,,,The list goes on and on.
There may be a few but I have not found one that offers a warm water dive inland with any visibility,
But have one that I have heard about and will let you know soon, These are mostly child hood memories by folks it seems and upon arrival I find a average of 10' visibility but never say never!
One thing Lake Michigan can offer some great visibility for shore dives wind's permitting and a choice spot would be the Door county area,
One choice for later summer diving Jackson Port piers,
and many others,
Good luck

We dive several lakes in Northern WI and a few in the U.P. of Michigan. The best one so far is in Onieda County as far as lakes go. It is called Squash lake and is off of Hwy8 and east of 51 about 10 miles. Another good one is in Vilas county called Sparkling lake. This one is located on hwy 51 just north of where hwy N comes into 51. Other wise the quarries are always a good dive. The fortune Pond in Michigan is by far the clearest dive but it does not get very warm.

Love the Fortune Pond! Just Dove it last weekend under the ice. Nothing beats the clarity and under the ice! Would like to try and get one more dive in before we loose the ice. Not sure if there will be time though, it is going FAST! I am ok with that too. Would love some soft water.

LAKE WAZEE in Black River Falls.
Best in Wisconsin.

I have tried a few lakes in Northern Wisconsin and have been disappointed. High lake in Vilas County was OK and Big Muskellunge was a little better.

I did extensive diving at Lake Wazee, so if you need advice, let me know.

Mark

the WI Department of Natural Resources keeps a really nice list of all the lakes in WI along with a ton of data on them. you can export the whole list into excel and then you can filter by location, size, depth, and water clarity. Just found this and it's definitely a nice resource to have. DNR also has bathymetric contour maps that show the topography of each lake which is awesome as well. The maps also have what kind of vegetation and bottom type to expect. here's the link.

the WI Department of Natural Resources keeps a really nice list of all the lakes in WI along with a ton of data on them. you can export the whole list into excel and then you can filter by location, size, depth, and water clarity. Just found this and it's definitely a nice resource to have. DNR also has bathymetric contour maps that show the topography of each lake which is awesome as well. The maps also have what kind of vegetation and bottom type to expect. here's the link.

You work 3rd? I’m always looking for some good morning Wisconsin dives.

Decades ago when I was in the Air Force, we had a fellow SP who was from Michigan's UP. He told us a story about a flooded, man-made lake that he could sometimes see the top of a church steeple underwater.
Of course that got my attention, but I've never heard or read anything like this up there, so I don't know if he was just making it up, or was told this as a kid, etc. Still wonder about it though now and then....

Decades ago when I was in the Air Force, we had a fellow SP who was from Michigan's UP. He told us a story about a flooded, man-made lake that he could sometimes see the top of a church steeple underwater.
Of course that got my attention, but I've never heard or read anything like this up there, so I don't know if he was just making it up, or was told this as a kid, etc. Still wonder about it though now and then....
No, there are no flooded towns in the UP. However there are mines to dive with a ton of ancient equipment in them.

Back
Top Bottom