Spring Break in Belize With Non-Diving Family?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Seems every time this year I'm looking for a Caribbean vacation with my non-diving wife and non-diving kids. Frankly, I'm fine not diving at all when on a trip with them so it's not a priority at all. But if I can manage to get a few dives in that's a bonus.

We (either me diving, not diving with my wife, or the whole family together) have been pretty much everywhere island-wise. Never been to Belize, however.

Looking for recommendations for a condo or villa with access to decent beaches and other stuff to do. Handy diving would be a plus, but not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights folks might have.

Ray

I think @chillyinCanada has been to Belize a bunch, so I'm hoping she'll see your post. In terms of 'other stuff to do,' any thoughts on what sort of things they like?

On a cruise ship stop, I did a boat trip up New River to Lamanai (means Submerged Crocodile), where we walked through rainforest & visited 3 Mayan temples (Mask Temple, Tall Temple, Jaguar Temple), & were allowed to climb atop the 1st 2.

IMG_0297_zps3c4a87c0.jpg

IMG_0351_zps72ec05ab.jpg

IMG_0351_zps72ec05ab.jpg

IMG_0347_zps3efbe200.jpg

Also saw a small juvenile crocodile on a log, some maybe 4 footers basking, some bats on a tree and IIRC a few howler monkeys.

This was a Royal Caribbean cruise ship excursion, but of course Trip Advisor has various activity listings for Belize.

Richard.

Reactions: RJP
So many "other things to do," so little time, lol.

Most folks go to Ambergris Caye, and I'm sure someone will chime in. I like to go further south to Placencia, which although it has an definite island vibe with great beaches is actually the tip of a peninsula with easy access to the mainland. From there, you could go up the highway to the mainland proper. Turn left, there are Mayan ruins, a spice farm, river tubing, caves you can swim in, and ultimately Punta Gorda. Turn right and there's more Mayan ruins, a jaguar preserve with trails and river tubing, a tour of a banana or cacao farm, zip lining, Garifuna drumming and the Hummingbird Highway. Either way, you can get into the jungle quickly.

I recommend Splash Dive Center if you choose to dive. You could bring the family with you to snorkel, if that's something they would enjoy. They would hang out on a caye while you're diving, and you would have lunch together.

Tons of accommodations to suit your budget are available in either place.

Hi Ray,

A little hard to make a recommendation without hearing the ages of your kids and how active you want your vacation to be. Do you want a restaurants/nightlife? Quiet beaches? All inclusive resort? Access to land-based activities or mainly water-focused?

We just took our second family trip to Belize in 2 years during the first week of January. My daughter (19) and I are divers; son (21) and wife are not. We booked our trip with Slickrock Adventures, staying for a week on their small Caye 35 miles off the coast; part of Glover's Reef Atoll. We've done a lot of traveling as a family....but this particular trip all of us agreed was the best family trip we've ever taken. Their operation on Long Caye is an eco-resort, so no AC, no TV, no internet, no in-room bathrooms, showers are solar heated (so sometimes on the cooler side). But the setting is absolutely gorgeous (it looks like a sort of rustic Maldives/Gilligan's Island combo out there), consistent sea-breeze makes sleeping very comfortable, 100% no crowds, great diving on-site (and dive sites 3-5 min away, so easy to get 1-2 dives in/day without missing lots of family time) and fantastic guides who organize an endless stream of fun, water-based activities = windsurfing, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, kite boarding, surf kayaking, kayaking to other islands and reefs and snorkeling from the kayaks, etc. Beach volleyball in the early evening before/during happy hour. Every room is right on the water, with a small deck and hammock. Lots of hammock time is encouraged. Family style meals. Games, cards, etc. in the evening. An unlimited supply of Bellikin beer and soft drinks. It is on the pricier side and the logistics make it slightly harder to get to, but all meals and most activities (diving is extra) are included. We are already making plans to go back. Slickrock has other trips as well, both land-based and combos with island time. It's definitely worth a look. Given the eco nature of the accommodations, it's not for everyone. But if you want an active vacation centered around the water in one of the most beautiful off-shore locations in Belize, this trip felt worth every penny....and we want to repeat the experience soon!

Chris

Belize Adventure Travel, Belize Vacations at a Private Island

Last edited:
ambergris caye will give convenient diving along with alot of activities to occupy the non divers. Placencia does have better beaches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom