Spotted a ScubaPro MK1 in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parzdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from Bonaire and quickly spotted someone using a 109 second stage. On closer inspection on the boat, it turns out the diver had a MK1 regulator with some kind of swivel T connector coming out of the (only?) low pressure port on the bottom of the reg. The diver was an older woman and said the reg of over 30 years old (probably closer to 40 or 50). She was diving without an octo, just the 109/BA second stage and an inflator hose.

Unfortunately I did not get a picture, but thought I'd share.

I was tempted to tell her how "dangerous" that reg was and buy it from her for her own safety. :joke:

I got a few looks and comments using my 109's in North Carolina a few weeks ago. Then I pulled out my back up a Mk5 1st with a AIR Pilot 2nd they went silent for a moment.

I'm not quite sure if it was a retro show or a freak show? I can't imagine diving with anything but my 109's I use'em year round. I've never had one freeze on me. I don't know of a more solid built and reliable regulator.

The nearly all metal construction on the 109 makes it a great reg. The old Scubapro first stages, properly maintained will last forever. You replace the o-rings and seats and you should never have a problem. Just because it is old doesn't mean it isn't good.

I've got a Mk1 just like that, complete with T, I've never dove it though.

I do love my Mk5/R109 however. I've dove that many times and it breathes great.

My MK5/109 BA that I got from Couv is my primary reg set now. My MK20/G200B that I bought when I started diving hangs in a closet.
I just dove that polished brass Mk3/108 that I restored the other day. It worked fine, not the best breathing reg in the world but it worked good enough for me to shoot a nice Cabezon a few days ago which made the best fish tacos I've ever had tonight.

.....the correct choice. Employ the MK5/109 for hunting real game fish like Red Fish or Pompano :)

Seriously, isn't a cabezon a type of stone fish and has toxic innards? I guess one has to be very careful preparing that fish to eat.

.....the correct choice. Employ the MK5/109 for hunting real game fish like Red Fish or Pompano :)

Seriously, isn't a cabezon a type of stone fish and has toxic innards? I guess one has to be very careful preparing that fish to eat.
I never heard that they were poisonous. I think they are in the sculpin family, they have horns and a spiky gill plate.
They are smooth and slimy, they don't have scales, and they can be difficult to fillet due to the row of bones sticking out sideways from the spine and attached to the skin. The meat is white and very delicate and flavorful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom