Sport after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuie_

New
Reaction score
Gday
I was wondering how long after diving it's safe to play sport.

I play hockey (field) on sunday afternoons (3:30pm)
My dives at the moment are limitied to 30m, though my second dive on saturday would be significantly shallower.

Is it safe to be playing sport, say, 20 hours after my dive?

I remember learning something about rigorous excerise causes nitrogen bubbles during my courses but can't quite remember the safety precautions involved...

Thanks
Stuart

Dear Stuart:

I would suspect that playing sports five hours after recreational diving is OK. This has never been rigorously tested, however. Certainly playing the next day is almost assuredly without additional risk of DCS.

This might not be true for a long decompression in the case of a technical or commercial diver.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hello, another question down the same line. Is fishing considered too strenuous an activity? e.g. Dive, fish during surface interval, then repetative dive and more fishing?

Thanks.

Dear pchelp:

Fishing is only too strenuous if you get in the water and chase them suckers around real fast.:snorkel:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day. Teach him to fish, and you give him an excuse to sit in a boat and drink beer for the rest of his life. :fishy:

Dr. Deco,

I do do that (but it counts as diving time). In this case it is bluewater fishing, with amberjack 30lb+, tuna and large grouper as the target (occasional jewfish, but they just break tackle). Sometimes the fight to bring in the fish will last from 15-45 minutes, straining both arm and leg muscles. It's enough work that sometimes we hand off the fishing rod to a buddy to work for a while. It's definately much more work than getting out of the water and moving some tanks around.

rusty

Dear pchelp:

Ow!

That really counts as exercise. I thought you meant you just dangled a line over the side of the boat.

That is some heavy-duty activity that you are describing. I am afraid that it would definitely be a contributor to pre-dive exercise and increase the risk of DCS.

Yea, it's real fishing, tired and sore when you get home, but you spend the day on the water so can't complain. Guess the non-divers can fish during the SI, and when it's time to go back in, we'll bring back the fish that have been stealing bait.

Sometimes we do just dangle the line off the edge, but when the line starts screaming, and the tip of the pole is bent from vertical to the water, time to do something.

Thanks again,

rusty

Back
Top Bottom