Spool???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand that on the list of equipment for DIR-F, a 30m/100ft spool is required. I am thinking, what are the spools used for if we are only diving recreational diving. The on thing I know is that it is used for deploying surface marker. My surface marker has a 7 meter line attached to it, and that's where I usually deploy it before accending to around 5 meters for my safety stop.

My understanding is that if we don't need it, we don't carry it down underwater. So what I am wondering is are there any other specific function of a spool for recreational diving?

Also, is this spool DIR as it the seller claimed it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMB-Spool-Reel-...ryZ19304QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

that is exactly what they are used for....deploying the surface marker. you carry the SMB inside your MC pack. one of the requirements for DIR-F is deploying the SMB while maintaining trim/bouyancy.

I don't see anything wrong with the spool.

wunat:
I understand that on the list of equipment for DIR-F, a 30m/100ft spool is required. I am thinking, what are the spools used for if we are only diving recreational diving. The on thing I know is that it is used for deploying surface marker. My surface marker has a 7 meter line attached to it, and that's where I usually deploy it before accending to around 5 meters for my safety stop.

I could think of other usages:
  • tie off a line to a point around which you want to swim circular a search pattern
  • deploy a SMB to mark a spot underwater (maybe some emergency like a trapped diver in low visibility)

Not the kind of things you usually plan during a normal recreational dive.

Reinoud:
There is no specification about what material is used. Normally spools are made out of (one piece of) Delrin. That make them neutral underwater (very nice when you deploy a SMB: the spool will remain at the same depth if you let it loose).
I've seen some PVC spools for sale. Rumour is that they break easily when it gets cold...
Tobin makes some very nice stainless steel spools as well ... of course, they are not neutral underwater ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reinoud:
I could think of other usages:
  • tie off a line to a point around which you want to swim circular a search pattern
  • deploy a SMB to mark a spot underwater (maybe some emergency like a trapped diver in low visibility)

Not the kind of things you usually plan during a normal recreational dive.

The first one can be something to plan on a recreational boat dive. You might drop an upline where you think the wreck is, but when you get down there you find that the wreck is beyond the viz limits, so you need to search. Then if you find it the next team down can just follow your spool.

wunat:
My surface marker has a 7 meter line attached to it, and that's where I usually deploy it before accending to around 5 meters for my safety stop.

7 meter's may not be enough. You may need to put some scope on it for current or deploy it deeper. Thus the 30m requirement.

As far as the class goes, the only thing you'll do with it is deploy a surface marker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom