Sponge Divers of Tarpon Springs 1932 Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed that; I haven't hear Lowell Thomas's voice in ages.

"Look out for that vicious sea turtle!"

In "Danger is My Business" J.D. Craig describes the Manta Ray as the most dangerous sea creature. Apparently due to the hazard of pulling a diver quickly off the bottom should the ray run into the umbilical.

Thanks,

Couv

In the book "20 Years Under the Sea" by J.E. Williamson, the author describes the octopus as the most dangerous sea creature to humans. We sure have come a long way in our knowledge of the sea!
urmaddad

Yeah! 2500 pound turtles that will bite your arm off!!!!!!! Cool, I'd like to see one of those.......from a distance. LOL Great video, thanks for posting it.

The movie has been around in various formats for years. I recall John Craig showing it in 16MM format in the early 1960s at a LA County UW Instructors Association gathering; a meeting or a Catalina "campout" at Camp Fox. It is fortunate that some one has preserved the print and made it once again public domain.

What was then is not now.. It the pioneering days the marine creatures were considerably larger and certainly courious and above all with out fear. What remains today have been urbanized and are considerably smaller and have an inbred fear of bubble blowers.

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom