splits....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are able to try them out or know people that have them that you could try that would be your best bet.

I have a pair of xpert zooms and bio's and perfer the bio's over the zooms..

just my 2 cents

what are the good things about the xpert zooms? i heard the angle of the blades made it better to swim on surface, is that true? comparing to the bio fins, which ones whould you pick in terms of propulsion and ease of kicking?

As I said earlier my twin jets are the best fins I've ever used. The zooms are fine but they are made of a very soft compound and if you stand up on rocks and stuff in shallow water or use them in a pool they scratch easily and look like crap right away.

Of course some divers prefer that look.

well of course if you spend that much money on fins (like the xpert zoom) you wouldnt walk on rocks with them. have you tried the bio fins before? do they feel like jets since they look pretty much the same, and the bio fins i tried were very comfortable but hard to control with sudden stops or other style of kicks.

I like my Twin Jets, 'full foot', just bought them last fall and have not really tested them until this June. I have ankle issues (6 screws and steel plate holding my fiblia on) and the split fins seems to be less work overall, I find them quite manuverable. About the full foot, I"m a warm water diver, 90% of the time out of the boat and in the water, not shore based where a booty comes in handy. I'd be willing to try another brand just to compare, but I'm happy as I stand!

I spent 30+ years in jets. I love the slpits, now. I am not crazy about the Apollos as they were a little too mushy for me. I owned the twin jets for a while until the twin speeds came out. I bought them after trying them. With the stiffer blades, I get extremely fast speeds but also have great fine movement adjustments. I can frog, back up and maneuver much like I did in my old jets. This is most important when taking pics.

I use the black (stiffer) open heel x-pert zooms and they are extremely fast. They also worked fine for me in a current - I had no problem keeping up with the divemasters who were using jets.

However, they are fairly long, which reduces maneuverability - for example, turning inside a wreck, or making small turns to quickly get into a better position for taking a photo can be tricky.

I haven't used other splits, or the jets, so for comparison I can only say that the zooms blow away any (low quality) rental fins I've used in the past.

My girlfriend uses the yellow open heel zooms, and so far she loves them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom