splits....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
as some of you guys know, i m picking between force and split fins. while force fins only have i type i wanna try, split fins have so many different types accross so many brands. these are the ones avaliable at my LDS.
i) apollo bio-fins
ii) Tusa X-pert Zoom
iii) Scubapro Twin Jet
iv) Scubapro Twin Speed

out of these 4 different ones, what would you guys think about them regarding comfort, propulsion and durability?

just another question: are those different split fins designed for people with different physical status: weight, height, size of feet, general leg strength, fitness and kicking style?
i m kinda stocky, standing 168cm and 70kg, i have swum all my life so i m reasonably fit in water with pretty good strngth on legs, an ok kicking style but i have bad ankles. which ones of those 4 would you think would be best?

Fins are strange things, from my experience you have to try them to see if you like them. Its probably the reason many of us have so many masks and sets of fins.

What works for one person often doesn't work for another.

If your LDS has a pool or will let you try them out over a weekend that will sometimes work. Otherwise, see if someone you know has a pair and see if you can borrow them on a checkout dive.

I know I started with Quatros, that I now despise, and tried a Mares Bolo that my wife loves, and ended up with a split fin that I absolutely love. But if another one catches my eye I'll probably try it and see if its better than what I have now.

Some factors you need to look at too are things like buoyancy. Some of the splits seem to vary from negative to positive buoyancy. Mine are just slightly buoyant, which good for quary entries because I can let them float in front of me while getting my gear on at a walk in entry.

IMHO, Apollo Bio-fins (the regular ones, NOT the stiffer XT) are the best (I have tried the X-pert Zoom and Twin Jet and briefly owned a pair of Atomic Aquatics).

I have splits (Bio-fins) and I'm not sure I'd get them again. They were expensive, and although I'm told that style does a better job preventing cramps, they don't do as good a job with the frog kick. Guess I'm arguing both sides. Never mind.

I took every fin available into the pool and ended up with the scubapro twin jets. Comfort, fit, max propulsion with a minimum of effort. I counted kicks, looked at the timer, everything I could think of. The Twin Jets came out on top for me.

i really wish my local dive shop had that sort of selection, we are stuck with about 3 different kinds of fins..

twin jets, jet fins, and genesis

I have a pair of twin jets that are real nice. I like solid fins better as they are more stiffer than the split fins. However since owning them and using them I like them a lot. My twin jets (black) are the stiffest and are negatively buoyant of the them all. Depending on the color you get determins the buoyancy and stiffness. Heres a breakdown of them.

Black - negative boyancy and is the stiffest
Grey and Blue - slightly positive buoyant, more flexible than the Black.
Yellow - Most flexible and is positive buoyant.

Here is a link : click here.

bikeflip22:
i really wish my local dive shop had that sort of selection, we are stuck with about 3 different kinds of fins..

twin jets, jet fins, and genesis

That’s a pretty nice selection—IMHO, Jetfins are all you’ll ever need anyway. As much as I love my Apollo Bio-fins, I use my Scubapro Jetfins almost exclusively now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom