Split Thread - Title changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My normal cool down is 24-48 hrs depending on the issue. Some stuff I'm over faster. This is also one of those items that in the big picture is not going to take up much of my time alongside of other life concerns. Fact is I only see one pm notification on my droid when in fact I may have four. So I answer or address them in order of importance to me. In any case I understand the move now. Even if it is to what I, and some others who have contacted me, refer to as a graveyard and with the title.change the headstone has been placed and the dirt tamped down. Which I am sure certain segments of the industry are happy about.

Recently I have been told that I sometimes come off as agressive. But no one will tell me who is saying that. The thread got a number of likes and very positive comments. Some even said it will have them looking at their upcoming training. I think that's a good thing. Their instructors may not. That is something I was asked about. Do I think there are those who feel I am too open and honest about what goes on in the industry who would like that to stop? So they do things like report posts, complain about appropriate placing, call my agency ceo about things I say in public that are true, but that some don't think the average diver should know or be aware of? Who knows. But what this has done is reinforce the idea that I should perhaps tone that down on here and follow the lead of some friends who have similar approaches and start a blog on these things where there is no censorship and my meaning is not interpreted by others.

It has taken me nearly an hour to write this between other tasks. That is how most of my life is. Two or three things needing attention at the same time. In any case I'm done bitching about this, time to move on and tilt at the next windmill.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim,

Let me start by saying

1. I was not involved in the move, title change.

However... Your title (in my opinion) was very "Pointing the finger at" and aggressive toward a specific incident. This is an unfair characterization and was in essence an attack of those who were part of that incident. THIS is a TOS violation, especially in the forum you posted it in, and also on SB as a whole.

I can say without revealing the details of the moderator discussion, that - Softening the attack, was the only intent of changing the title, without changing your content within your "blog-esque post".

While the current title may not suit you... come up with something different, and it can be changed. The moderator who changed the title, did so merely to make it "not an attack"

2. The thread was moved, because it is clearly not something for the New Divers forum. It belongs in a discussion of accidents and how to prevent them.

As with all threads on SB... The moderators have the right to, and will move any thread to an appropriate forum. In general, these more difficult decisions are done with a group consensus.

If someone posts a for sale in a regular forum, that doesn't take a long involved decision... However, I can tell you that in this case, it was discussed, and that's all that really needs to be said about that.

3. There was no "protectionism" for the "Industry as a whole" nor was there any intent to "Censor Jim Lapenta because he's too honest"

You are welcome to post your opinions and we don't censor opinions, but only unfriendliness.

--

If you or others take issue with moderator actions on ScubaBoard, I implore you to use the report post, Contact a Moderator Link (from help menu), or email abuse@scubaboard.com

getting onto the general forum and rabble rousing about your moderation may not always work out for you, as you ultimately upset our entire crew of VOLUNTEER MODERATORS. They are doing their best to follow the guidelines, and they do this all ON THEIR OWN TIME for no compensation at all.

Thanks, all, for the clarifications about what went on and why. From the outside, it was hard to see how it made sense, even while having respect for the people making the decisions and knowing there must be some rationale, even though I couldn't imagine what it would be. It's helpful to know a bit more about what happens behind the scenes, for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Back
Top Bottom