Split fins and Spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cathouse

Registered
Reaction score
Need some feedback on using split fins while spearfishing on scuba. I keep hearing good things about them, but not sure how they would work in a hunting environment. I know they have good speed straight ahead, but what about manuvering, etc.?

Need some feedback on using split fins while spearfishing on scuba. I keep hearing good things about them, but not sure how they would work in a hunting environment. I know they have good speed straight ahead, but what about manuvering, etc.?

Many divers use split fins while hunting although 80%+ of spear fisherman in Florida use long freediving fins...

Will they work? Yes.

Are there MUCH better options? Hell yes.

I have a bunch of different fins, both splits (Apollo biofins), and paddle.

I'd say my Biofins are some of the most comfortable, and quick fins I own. They are also easy on the legs.

There seems to be a lot of divers who believe for whatever reason that if you are not diving fins that were designed in the 1950's that you are doing something wrong. I don't tend to agree with that philosophy.

IMO speerfishing resembles diving very closely. Once you nail something, it can get the heart-rate up a bit! But why would you consider different fins for that activity? If you are thinking that ANY fin is going to give you the edge over a fish in a hurry, think again...

On our last venture My buddy dove Jets, and I took my Biofins. We managed to dive just fine! :D However the fish were giving him strange looks, and I attribute this to him using Jets! :rofl3:

Do you want fish to see you kicking quickly or do you think fish might be less afraid by a diver using big, long fins, kicking slowly down the reef?

if you are spearing on scuba, the fin choice is completely independent of the spearing activity. Find a fin that works very well for you and use it. period end of story... the truth is the shear amount of noise that you make while on scuba is more than enough to scare most fish away in the first place. Any advantages that people claim about having a slower kick pace when you sound like a screaming fire engine is just plain dumb.

If you dump the scuba, well then, you should think about mimetic and very slow non threatening movements

I have not done a lot of spearfishing, but I have noticed that in marine preserves the fish are much more likely to hang out, and they are generally larger as well. In hunting areas the fish always seem to be just shy of legal, maybe because the legal size fish are either gone, or smart enough to stay away from divers.

In Anacapa, we had a Large SheepsHead hang out with us almost the entire dive. I had been watching it for a few minutes lurking maybe 5' away. After a bit, the fish became very friendly, and started getting very close.

My buddy, who had not noticed it suddenly did so once it came right up to his face! :D He cocked his arm back thinking that it maybe aggressive, and I started laughing! I tapped him on the shoulder, and told him it was OK.

From that point on every time we spotted a Nudi, or anything we spent time looking at, the fish was RIGHT THERE, swimming in very close to see what we were looking at. It was too Funny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom