Split fins and dolphin encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I work for a dive shop in Albuquerque as your regular staff/tech/sales lackey and have come into contact with many customers who specifically avoid split fins not out of personal preference, but because they were told by their dive destination or live aboard that split fins are simply unacceptable when diving with dolphins. Apparently thay are told that split fins somehow offend dolphins in their natural environment or lack the ease of use that are inherent to paddle fins. Having unlimited availability to a wide range of vendors supplying both split and paddle fins I personally prefer atomic splits, but don't want to get into a split vs paddle debate. I guess my question is has anyone else ever heard of a dolphin split-fin interaction gone awry? Is this true, do dolphins, and aging divers, really dislike us splitfinners?

Hmmm... I did a dolphin dive in Palau and used splits... they didn't seem to much care. Also run into a few wild ones, and they didn't seem to avoid me either.

Maybe they just mean with splits you might out swim the dolphins and they'll get upset they can't keep up. :wink:

desertdiverNM:
I guess my question is has anyone else ever heard of a dolphin split-fin interaction gone awry? Is this true, do dolphins, and aging divers, really dislike us splitfinners?

OK, I don't get it. Not doubting you have heard what you heard, but ... huh? I would love to hear the rationale behind this one.

scubatoys:
Maybe they just mean with splits you might out swim the dolphins and they'll get upset they can't keep up. :wink:

Yeah...that is exactly what I was thinking. :wink: :rofl3:

We swam with Dolphin's for almost 2 hours while on a live aboard trip in the Bahamas this past February.

There were 18 aboard and at least 3 of the crew swam with us and the Dolphin's. I would estimate 15 of those swimmers were wearing Splits. My buddy and I were wearing Atomic's.

The Dolphin's loved 'em! Got close to us and avoided everyone wearing paddle fins.:D

The dolphins in Carmel Bay dont mind, pretty much every time I dive N. Monastery I get them chasing me on the way back. TwinJets forever, unless freediving!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I think someone's pulling your fin!:D

:rofl3: :rofl3:
desertdiverNM:
Apparently thay are told that split fins somehow offend dolphins in their natural environment
:rofl3: :rofl3:

Keep looking for those invisible barracudas...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom