Splash in Placencia, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadense

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We dove with Splash in Placencia once again yesterday. It was an amazing day. We saw the largest nurse shark I've ever seen, a logger head turtle that just swam by plus the most amazing 15 minutes of diving with bottle nose dolphins! At one point, two of them came almost right up to me. Thanks to the captain who circled the boat around our bubbles to keep them around. Of course they were still there on the surface when we came up after our safety stop. Lunch was a wonderful chicken BBQ on Silk Quay. Plus snorkeling with 4 loggerheads & a small spotted eagle ray around a lobster boat cleaning it's catch. Great staff, service & Patty thanks for the cookies & cool drinks when we came in from our day.

Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

so let me get this straight, chumming and handling nurse sharks is bad, but herding dolphins with a dive boat is okay?

We dove with Splash in Placencia once again yesterday. It was an amazing day. We saw the largest nurse shark I've ever seen, a logger head turtle that just swam by plus the most amazing 15 minutes of diving with bottle nose dolphins! At one point, two of them came almost right up to me. Thanks to the captain who circled the boat around our bubbles to keep them around. Of course they were still there on the surface when we came up after our safety stop. Lunch was a wonderful chicken BBQ on Silk Quay. Plus snorkeling with 4 loggerheads & a small spotted eagle ray around a lobster boat cleaning it's catch. Great staff, service & Patty thanks for the cookies & cool drinks when we came in from our day.

Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

Placencia is overlooked often by Belize dive vacationers, but there are so many wonderful sites to take advantage of. It's worth strong consideration when considering Belize diving.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 12:39 PM ----------

Here is a map of dive sites from Placencia, Belize
Placencia_Reefs_Dive_Mapsm.jpg

so let me get this straight, chumming and handling nurse sharks is bad, but herding dolphins with a dive boat is okay?

Dolpfins often seem to surf in the bow wave from power boats - you don't herd them. They come to the boat. If you just pass through, they will do a short surf and then stay where they were. If you circle, they will keep coming to the boat to surf.
Regards
Ralph

When I was near Placencia (Hamanasi) we had dolphins surfing on our inflatables. They took many advantages to surf a bow wave. They were not "being herded". They were playing.

In PNG, our liveaboard would drop snorkelers in a tight group while the captain powered the boat back and forth in front of the swimmers. They could watch the dolphins playing in the bow wave while he powered past. A great perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom