Spirit of Niugini PNG liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leemce

Registered
Reaction score
The fabulous Tawali Resort in Papua New Guinea was our starting point for one of the great liveaboard trips ever -- aboard the Spirit of Niugini (Spirit of Niugini Papua New Guinea).

Tawali, as other posters have reported, is one of the most exotic and comfortable dive resorts in the world. I absolutely love the fact that you have to take such a fascinating trip just to get there -- by smallish plane out of Port Moresby to Alotau, then a multi-passenger vehicle (provided by Tawali) on a drive with several stream crossings through the rainforest for an hour or so, and finally a 20-minute boat ride to the resort -- all of which tells you that you have arrived at a location that is distant, exotic, and entirely removed from the lives of all the friends you left back home. Just being there is a kick. And having such spacious rooms perched on a rainforest hillside overlooking a gorgeous bay, along with a terrific and attentive staff tells you in a glance that it's worth whatever sacrifices you made to get here. And that's even before you dive! At least, after two trips to Tawali, that's my experience.

But you give up nothing when you depart Tawali aboard the Spirit of Niguini. Roomy and comfortable, it provides something that I always look for in a liveaboard: a variety of "places" that you can go to get together with your fellow divers, review your photographs, work on your gear, or just read or relax -- either in the tropical sun or in expansive shaded areas or in the air conditioned interior. Just being in my cabin was great, too, with a roomy private bathroom and windows that spanned the entire cabin wall.

We were aboard for a 12-day trip from Tawali up and around New Britain (with a fascinating stop to do some driving and hiking through the highly volcanic Rabaul) to Kimbe Bay. For my money, diving in Papua New Guinea is the best in the world with refreshingly healthy, beautiful reefs with fantastic hard and soft corals in sizes that you wouldn't believe, a startling array of species, huge schools of fish and dolphins, and some occasional big animals to spice up your dives. I wore a 3ml wetsuit most of the time and occasionally just a dive skin. Very comfortable water. And depending on weather and proximity to shore, you can get some of the clearest water you've ever seen.

Our trip was made up of experienced divers and the Spirit of Niugini crew thankfully recognized that. We were given advice about our diving but never any strict rules. You are in charge of yourself, which I find wonderfully refreshing. Not to say that I make a practice of flaunting scuba safety rules but after more than 40 years of diving I do like to be on my own once in a while. I did that on this trip with a bounce dive down to about 135 feet just to see what I could see. After a few minutes I moved back into shallower water and noticed one of the crew divers had been keeping an eye on me, just to make sure I was safe. When I got near he gave me the "OK?" signal but he never tried to tell me what to do. Thanks, mate!

I could go on and on about the sites we dived and the critters we saw but if you need any of that kind of encouragement to go to Papua New Guinea you haven't been paying attention. Sorry if that's too blunt but PNG is simply top tier diving. I've done three trips to PNG in the past few years and I will eagerly go back to dive again from Tawali and the Spirit of Niugini. The boat is comfortable and fast. The food is top-notch; as good as I have ever had aboard a dive boat anywhere -- from the Red Sea to the Caribbean to Galapagos. The crew is a dedicated group of extremely hard-working locals. They are great -- and careful -- about helping with gear and such. There was a special job for them to handle on our trip when a volcano erupted about four miles from our mooring in Rabaul harbor. What an exciting event that was! It took the crew two days of hard work to clean off all the volcanic ash that fell onto Spirit but they never slacked off on their regular responsibilities.

Bottom line: For world-class diving you can't do better than Papua New Guinea. And in Papua New Guinea you can't do better than Tawali and the Spirit of Niugini.

Ahhh brings back reminiscients,
The "Fathers" volcano in the Fathers and Witu's
IMG_0435.jpg

The beautiful weather aboard with calm seas
IMG_0525.jpg

Just warming up as this is one day of diving...happiness
StarDancersdiveslate.jpg

File0005.jpg

File0009.jpg

Mmmmmmmm... temptation rears it's ugly head again..

Great pics Caymaniac!

Leemce? Got any pics?

Z...

:happywave and welcome to :sblogo:

love the trip report - png is one of the 2 must do's i wish for in the next few years

any pics to share??

Hello leemce, thanks for the post. Can you tell us who is the Captain and owner of the boat? I couldn't find any mention of the Captain's name. It looks like the boat might be US owned as their contact info was an address in California. Also, what was the cost per day? I couldn't find the rates listed on the site... -Andy

Hey there,

I really enjoyed caymaniac's pictures from PNG and wish I could respond with some of my own. However, I shoot video and my experience is that video still frames just don't match the quality of good still camera images. I did get some good video, though!

Good luck to you all getting out there!

Lee

Whoops...didn't answer silent running's question in that last post...

Spirit of Niugini is an American-owned boat. As I understand it, they are the same people who are co-owners of Tawali Resort. And, yes, the bookings are done out of California. If you go to the main page of the Tawali website (Papua New Guinea Scuba Diving Adventure - the Highlands to the Islands) and click on "Spirit of Niguini" just under the Tawali logo it will take you to all of the info about that vessel. Here's the link for schedule and rates: Spirit of Niugini Papua New Guinea

Hope you love it as much as we did, Andy.

Lee

Whoops...didn't answer silent running's question in that last post...

Spirit of Niugini is an American-owned boat. As I understand it, they are the same people who are co-owners of Tawali Resort. And, yes, the bookings are done out of California. If you go to the main page of the Tawali website (Papua New Guinea Scuba Diving Adventure - the Highlands to the Islands) and click on "Spirit of Niguini" just under the Tawali logo it will take you to all of the info about that vessel. Here's the link for schedule and rates: Spirit of Niugini Papua New Guinea

Hope you love it as much as we did, Andy.

Lee

Thanks for the info Lee, didn't see the post until now. I wish there was just one place for PNG posts. Sometimes they wind up in this forum and sometimes it's in the Pacific Islands forum, confusing... -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom