Spirit of Freedom Photo & Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive #18
The Castle, Osprey Reef
12:59 p.m. - 51 minutes - 85 feet - 79 degrees F

The Castle is a section of the western edge of Osprey Reef that had towers of coral separated by chutes of sand. The chutes of sand extended inward towards the center of the reef, to small patches of flat sand. The current was ripping down the chutes and over the wall. It was very difficult to make your way inwards

Alex looking out at the Castle dive site
IMGP8956.JPG

Jackey at the Castle
M0018769.jpg

M0018781.JPG

M0018805.JPG

Dive #19
The Gap, Osprey Reef
3:08 p.m. - 52 minutes – 65 feet - 77 degrees F

The Gap is similar to The Castle, except the sand chutes extend all the way into the central lagoon of the reef. Again, there was an impressive wall dropping down over 3,000 feet. The current was still ripping down the chutes. Serge and I fought our way up the chutes into the central lagoon, but the current did not let up. We swam around in 25 feet of water in a large, flat white sand plain that was dotted with 10-foot coral towers. We swam from tower to tower, trying to stay out of the current, but it was no use. We gave up and let the current carry us back down a chute and over the wall.

Dinner was rack of lamb and lamb meatballs.

Dawn, August 1, 2010 from the Spirit of Freedom
IMGP8990.JPG

Dive #20
Steve’s Bonnie, between Ribbon 2 and Ribbon 3 Reefs
7:20 a.m. - 52 minutes - 78 feet - 78 degrees F

M0018830.JPG

M0018853.JPG

M0018867.JPG

M0018872.JPG

M0018876.JPG

M0018898.JPG

M0018906.JPG

M0018926.JPG

Dive #21
Steve’s Bonnie, between Ribbon 2 and Ribbon 3 Reefs
10:13 a.m. - 65 minutes - 75 feet - 79 degrees F

Summit of Steve's Bonnie
M0019063.JPG

M0018999.JPG

M0019049.JPG

M0019006.JPG

M0018931.JPG

Last edited:
Dive #22
Joanies Joy, between Ribbon 2 and Ribbon 3 Reefs
1:03 p.m. - 75 minutes - 44 feet - 79 degrees F

M0019066.JPG

M0019087.JPG

M0019110.JPG

M0019174.JPG

M0019118.JPG

M0019162.JPG

Dive #23
Joanies Joy, between Ribbon 2 and Ribbon 3 Reefs
4:05 p.m. - 71 minutes - 26 feet - 80 degrees F

For the last dive we decided to venture into the protected shallows in the center of the reef. The water was only about 6 to 8 feet deep, but it was truly a wonderful dive. We saw numerous sharks.

M0019186.JPG

M0019213.JPG

A five-foot long giant clam
M0019215.JPG

M0019227.JPG

M0019250.JPG

Want to go into the shallows?
M0019267.JPG

In the central lagoon of the reef
M0019273.JPG

M0019277.JPG

M0019278.JPG

Last edited:
August 2, 2010

The boat docked back at the port of Cairns at about 6:00 a.m. We disembarked a couple of hours later. Jackey and I went back the All Season Cairns Hotel. Exhausted, we did very little except sleep and laundry.

REFLECTIONS

My only other extensive reef diving experience has been in the Florida Keys and Cozumel. Clearly, the Great Barrier Reef is the place to see large animals such as sharks, whales and giant clams. However, both Jackey and I felt that the reefs at Cozumel were much prettier than the Great Barrier Reef.

The night dives in Cozumel were much better, too. On the Great Barrier Reef you are followed around by large fish such as trevally, who gobble up everything within reach of your light. We really didn’t see much at night on the Great Barrier Reef except trevally. Contrast that with the dozens of sea horses, squid, crabs, and octopus that we usually see in Cozumel at night.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and both Jackey and I will repeat the adventure in the future.

Thanks for the very complete trip report! Nice photo documentary! Brings back happy memories of a Mike Ball trip I did a few years ago.

August 2, 2010

The boat docked back at the port of Cairns at about 6:00 a.m. We disembarked a couple of hours later. Jackey and I went back the All Season Cairns Hotel. Exhausted, we did very little except sleep and laundry.

REFLECTIONS

My only other extensive reef diving experience has been in the Florida Keys and Cozumel. Clearly, the Great Barrier Reef is the place to see large animals such as sharks, whales and giant clams. However, both Jackey and I felt that the reefs at Cozumel were much prettier than the Great Barrier Reef.

The night dives in Cozumel were much better, too. On the Great Barrier Reef you are followed around by large fish such as trevally, who gobble up everything within reach of your light. We really didn’t see much at night on the Great Barrier Reef except trevally. Contrast that with the dozens of sea horses, squid, crabs, and octopus that we usually see in Cozumel at night.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and both Jackey and I will repeat the adventure in the future.

Thanks for your awesome posting. I sincerely appreciate your effort in putting together your impressive posting.

Great trip report Doc Harry!

I was on SOF in March 2008 for a week. It's funny -- I think it was Melinda's first or second week. She did the housekeeping and I don't think she even dove at the time.

I enjoyed the GBR but it does just start to scratch the surface of what's on offer in the Pacific/Coral Sea region.

Great trip report Doc Harry!

I was on SOF in March 2008 for a week. It's funny -- I think it was Melinda's first or second week. She did the housekeeping and I don't think she even dove at the time.

I enjoyed the GBR but it does just start to scratch the surface of what's on offer in the Pacific/Coral Sea region.

It was a lot of fun diving with Melinda, she's great. I was in Australia for a month, and I kept running into her all over Cairns.

Jackey and I are looking forward to spending a lot more time exploring other parts of the Pacific/Coral Sea region.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom