Spirit of Freedom in sept. for the seasick prone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been and worked on all 3 (Mike Ball, Taka and SOF).Not much to choose between teh 3 as far as sea sickness goes. Probably SOF and Mike Ball the better 2. Take Kwells (sea sick pills) the day before you go and on the morning of departure and continuall on the trip.

September and October usually have the calmest seas so you are doing well.

If you havent already booked can get discont on site below

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

I recently came back from SOF trip to Coral Sea. I do not get sea sick often but during the crossing it was really difficult. I didn't had to feed the fish but felt really queasy for close to 8-9 hrs. The crossing from Coral Sea to Ribbon reef or vice-versa in windy condition can be absolutely brutal.
This occured during mid-sept when the sea is supposed to be calm which it was for 3 days :-(

I just did the trip to weeks ago on Spirit of Freedom. The trip to the Coral Sea was a bit rough but much better then anticipated by the crew. The diving in the Coral Sea was amazing and the crew of SOF made it enjoyable and worthwhile. We even saw a 4m hammerhead in the blue. The way they conduct the diving on SOF is professional, save and every moment enjoyable. I cannot comment on Taka and Spoilsport but I would go back to SOF anytime.
Yes, I did have some rough hours during the night going to Osprey Reef but I also didn't take the pills. On the way back I took the pills and the ocean was calm like a mountain lake. It's up to the captain to decide if they go out there or not. If it's getting to rough during the trip the boat will return to the ribbon reefs. Having dived with them, I can assure you that SOF will do anything for the passenger's safety.
I also agree with the advice given above: Take a low cabin since the movement isn't so much up and down but rolling.
Usually, Sept. - Dec are the best month for good vis and low winds. We were a bit unlucky since the sandstorms hit eastern Australia. I'm also not sure what influence the Tsunami in Samoa had. Apparently, you could still feel it in PNG which isn't far from the Coral Sea and Osprey reef. I guess they are pretty much gone now and the ocean should not be angry anymore.
Enjoy your dive and take the Spirit of Freedom with confidence.
Take care,
Dirk

Having done several liveaboards in the Red Sea, Palau, and Australia, I have to say that SOF was one of the best.

Although it is a monohull not only is it quite wide, but it's also steel hulled. Thus, it's less apt to rock & roll, especially in less-than-calm seas. Fiberglass or wooden hulls are much more "bobby" unless they are cat/cathedral hulled.

The dive sites are excellent, the crew & cuisine superb. Probably the best food we've had on a liveaboard.

FYI, we lived aboard a 43' sailboat in the Bahamas for 2 years, also running our own sail/dive charters. So we can be quite critical of "other" liveaboards. :wink:

Bonne chance,

My only complaint about the SOF is the number of divers. If the boat isn't full you should have a great time. When I went he had a full boat and dives like Steve's Bommie made me think I was on a cattle boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom