Spinyhead or Secretary Blenny?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is this a Spinyhead or Secretary Blenny? Is there a way to easily tell the difference? Photos taken on Paradise Reef in Cozumel: ~ 25 feet deep, fish was quite small (maybe 1/4-3/8" diameter head).

Attachments

• P5251366aa low resolution2.jpg
    P5251366aa low resolution2.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P5251368aa low resolution.jpg
    P5251368aa low resolution.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 57
I believe Secretary blennies have white bars below their eyes. I don't see them in the photos.

I am not a blenny expert though.
Tom

It's going to be very hard to tell with just that view.
According to Reef's 'Fishes of the Caribbean' it is slightly more likely to be a spinyhead than secretary based on depth, and occurence. Spineyhead is about 2" vs secretary 1". Spinyhead has narrower stripes. neither of that can be determined here.
Secretary: Etymology: akantha, thorn or prickle; emblemaria, ornaments; maria, named by James E. Böhlke for his secretary, Mrs. Mary George

I vote for Spineyhead -- Yes, Secretary's have white lines on their "cheeks" which you can't see from this view, and they also have more branched cirri on top of their heads. Spineyheads have fewer -- usually two -- like the one you found.

I take that back. After looking at some more photos, I see that Secretary's have 2 branched cirri, too...I can't tell the difference without the side view! All kinds of blennies are found on Paradise so depth isn't an indicator.

From the picture and size I going to say Secretary Blenny like this one:
480_P5080538_Secretary_Blenny_AC_05.jpg

The eyes look more like spinyhead.

I would also say that it is a spinyhead. They are really cute little fellas.

Initial impression is Secretary...
But the main cirri say Spinyhead...
But the secondary cirri say Secretary...
But the eye shape leans toward Spinyhead...
Buth the eye color leans toward Secretary...
3 to 2 Secretary... but I ain't puttin' any money on either :)
Cute little rascal, anyway.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom