Spinners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's been a long time since i've been on this thing...

Anyone know much about the spinner sharks that migrate past us this time of year? Today they were around the boynton inlet, I'm planning on heading out tuesday to do some filming. I dunno if I should look around the same area because they will probably move on, perhaps I should look further north? ...anyone have a helicopter? lol

No I'm not crazy nor do I have oversized giggleberries to be diving with hundreds of spinners. Spinners are normally pretty docile unless you excite them. Either way they can't hurt you too much considering they cannot take large prey; only small reef fish. So I will seize the opportunity to get some great shots in.

MantaRey:
Either way they can't hurt you too much considering they cannot take large prey
Do not underestimate the respectable dentition of spinners. Their teeth are quite capable of taking a whole bicep or gastrocnemius in a single bite. Which could ruin your whole day... :)
S

thanks for the links...

sphyrna:
heh yeah, any shark can do some damage. But at least they are not pumped full of testosterone like bulls, or have metabolisms that make them super opportunists like any oceanic sharks. I'm guessing the best thing to do is to not drop myself right into the middle of the group, I'll most likely stick around the edges of the school to keep myself from being too swarmed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom