Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! thanks for all the info ! One more question.....does anyone dive drysuits there? In March the water is about 72-75 degrees ( so I read ) and I am bringing a 120 steel tank, so hopefully I can get some serious time down under. I like to be comfortable, but also need to justify buying that thing. Even if you didn't see any, do you think there will be a problem? I am shipping my gear down to a friend in FL. Not my idea, but a good one, I think.

I dove the Spiegel Grove twice. The first time the current was crazy...we had one diver abort the dive as she was going from the tag to the current line. And you were definately like a flad on a line in a storm the whole way down....once we went over the edge to the deck though, it wasn't bad. However, we were warned to stay away from the bow that day....due to what they suspected was a wicked down draft....that was ok with us....there was plenty to see on the rest of the wreck.

The next time I went (like two weeks later) there was almost no current at all.

Peace,
Cathie

Oh, and our boat also required AOW to dive this wreck.

gpatton once bubbled...
Other Speigel Grove Pages that I have put on my server

http://216.89.226.179/sg_lsd32/Diving_tips.htm

http://216.89.226.179/sg_lsd32/index.htm

Enjoy!

Glenn Patton

Glenn,

After visiting your site I must say that I think you are doing visitors a disservice.

Nowhere do you say anything such as "penetration wreck diving without proper training and equipment is extremely dangerous" or "do not penetrate without proper training". Instead, you make the following comments (each followed by my thoughts on it):

"If you penetrate the wreck, I would recommend carrying a UW light on the Spiegel Grove. It get very dark quickly inside"- Are you serious? You RECOMMEND a light for penetration?

"If you enter the wreck, it is easy to get caught on things. So avoid loose stuff hanging off your BC or other places (put you octopus in a BC pocket)"- Anyone qualified to penetrate a wreck knows this. Your site is NOT a proper place for wreck training.

"Also stay close to your buddy inside the wreck, just in case of trouble and to lower the panic factor"- The panic factor? Dude, if you have a "panic factor" you have no business inside a wreck.

I really hope that scubaboard readers are smart enough not to accept the recommendations on your site as being safe or good.

WW

Glenn, I'd have to agree with Wreck Writer here!

These "tips" on your site may get someone killed! You'd be much much better off with advice like "Do not penetrate this or any wreck without proper training" instead you give people just enough information to REALLY get themselves in trouble. Either that or the info is just plain wrong.

This is not to mention the liability you open yourself up to giving "advice" like that...

DSAO!

WW and DSOA

Your constructive criticism of my diving safely tips is noted. I changed them after considering of your comments.

http://216.89.226.179/sg_lsd32/Diving_tips.htm

Disclaimer; No one should assume these Diving Safety Tips are all the precautions that one needs to take to dive safely. There are a tremendous number of precautious that need to be taken in order to dive safely on the Spiegel Grove or any place else. All the conditions and circumstances of a dive need to be considered. So, diving is inherently a dangerous sport and one should not dive beyond one's own training, capabilities and the circumstances at the time of the dive. I offer this advise based on 37 years of diving experience. I am not a dive instructor. Dive at your own risk.

Glenn

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Glenn,

"Also stay close to your buddy inside the wreck, just in case of trouble and to lower the panic factor"- The panic factor? Dude, if you have a "panic factor" you have no business inside a wreck.

WW

I think you may have misunderstood my use of the “panic factor”.

I submit that the “panic factor” is always present, especially when there is an actual emergency. I have 30 years experience in life & death emergencies in my Fire–Rescue career. I have been involved in thousands of actual life threatening emergencies. I have seen veteran Firefighters panic as the circumstances of a scene go down hill. It is very difficult to maintain your focus and process all the information in an emergency quickly enough to make good decisions, especially for someone without emergency experience. In an emergencies people don’t think clearly, mainly because of their fears and the enormous stress of circumstances.

So, I submit the “panic factor” is always present. It is just waiting for a catalyst (an emergency). Having someone close by that is fully qualified and with a lot experience which a lesser experienced qualified diver trusts will lower the ever present "panic factor".

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom