Spiegel Grove Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ednedfred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

Will be in Florida 3/17 - 3/23, traveling with my wife and two children. I am the only diver in the bunch. Here are my questions:

1. Is it most convenient to stay in Key Largo in order to dive the Grove? If so, is there a beach there for the family to use while I'm diving?

2. Any recommendations on dive operators?

3. Hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Ed

The folks at Blue Water Divers has a Key Largo Getaway going on that weekend. That includes four dives on Saturday, two dives on Sunday, room at the Marina Del Mar Resort and Marina in Key Largo. I'm going this weekend, and we WILL be diving the Grove as well as one other wreck this weekend.

Contact Brent Hillard of Blue Water Divers at (305)453-9600 or (888) 953-9600 for all the details and prices. You can also PM him at KeyLargoBrent on this board.

Have a good time diving!!!

:D

About anyone does the Grove but I'd go with Ocean Divers or Atlantis Divers.

The Keys is not a good place for beaches in my experience but locals may have some better advice. Recently I've stayed at the Marriot (Feb. 05), which is grossly over-priced for what you get, and what was a Best Western (as late as last Dec.), which was on the rustic side but the rooms were large suites with a kitchen and were well priced. That hotel is no longer a Best Western and I don't have the new name but they are across from and beside Ocean Divers, which should have their name.

Good luck!

i'd recommend the dive charters with smaller boats, less divers and flexible dive profiles. blue water divers, island ventures and silent world, fit the bill. ocean divers and atlantis dive center have larger boats, more divers and less flexibility,,,good luck

reefman
key largo

I recommend H2O Divers also call Horizion Divers owner Joe Dowda. Call his dive shop and he will give you package offers...Hotel/Diving. Beaches there are really no sand beaches in the FL Keys, with the exception of Key West & the very new Condo Resort Tranquality Bay in Marathon, FL. If you need help let me know.

I reccomend Ocean Divers... just dove the Grove with them last week.. Only four of us on the boat, plus the mate.. Very flexiable dive profile.. Just wanted to make sure we returned with 500 psi or greater.. No time limits!! and they will sail with only two divers!! this time of year that is great.. We actually were diving with Rainbow Reef, earlier in the week, and they wouldnt sail with three of us booked.. so we switched to Ocean Divers.. Great Choice..

I also think their schedule on Saturdays ( I could be wrong, it might be Sundays) is to dive the Grove and the Duane... Two excellent dives..

Also LP Steel tanks on board...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom