SPGs on CCRs

What sort of tank pressure monitoring system do you use on your CCR?

• Stock SPGs, Front Mounted

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Stock SPGs, Back Mounted

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Wireless transmitters

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Wireless transmitters and SPGs

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Button SPGs

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • None

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Other aftermarket SPGs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being newer to CCR, I like my SPGs. However, with shorter HP hoses and thinner gauges than stock (meg), they sort of disappear behind my counterlungs and don't bother much. Can check if I need, but they're pretty much out of the way. I also, as noted above, often do multiple dives on the same set of 2L bottles and like to have a good handle on what I've got left and when I need to reload.

Buttons on the bailouts.

Being newer to CCR, I like my SPGs. However, with shorter HP hoses and thinner gauges than stock (meg), they sort of disappear behind my counterlungs and don't bother much. Can check if I need, but they're pretty much out of the way. I also, as noted above, often do multiple dives on the same set of 2L bottles and like to have a good handle on what I've got left and when I need to reload.

Yeah, but unless you are reloading at depth, you are just checking that between dives, right?

Buttons on the bailouts.

Totally reasonable. But the reasons that I don't do that are (1) it's sometimes easier to see a gauge on a short hose in a tight configuration, since you can grab it and bend it wherever you want, and (2) most button gauges are lower quality than standard SPGs, and may fail stuck (I have seen that).

No gauges until I started teaching. Now spgs on one CCR and wireless transmitters on the other.

3l bottle at 200 bar is good for 10 hours. And Dil will last longer than that. Add in that you can hear any gas leak, if you started with full tanks, you shouldn't be running out. But if you do, having a gauge tell you that you have no gas doesn't fix your issues :)

I admit to being a fairly new CCR (O2ptima) diver, so I am pretty much diving how I was trained. SPGs on both onboard bottles, over the shoulder bungeed just next to the SMCLs. I have SPGs on my SM bailout bottles too as these regs can also be used for Open circuit SM.

I have added a Nerd2 and am seriously considering adding transmitters.

You might chalk this up to being a relative rookie, but on a recent cave dive, peacock springs, peanut line jumped to gold line to challenge sink. ....I did a quick check of my O2 & dil half way between the jump and challenge, and noticed I had burned through almost half of my 3L dil. I was grateful to have had plenty of practice switching to offboard dil, so a quick switch and was in plenti good shape to complete the dive as planned.

If I had drained my onboard dil, I could have still bailed to off board, but it was much nicer to head off the issue and not have any additional stress with having to inflate my wing orally. (Or rely on just drysuit etc)

Yeah, I think that my position on this comes from the fact that I am terrified of wet rocks, so I don't do a lot of that sawtooth diving that burns through dil!.

So the question is, would transmitters really make a big difference, since you only looked once during the dive, right? It's not like doing an OC dive with a turn pressure, where the SPG controls the dive plan, and you need to monitor it....

Yeah, but unless you are reloading at depth, you are just checking that between dives, right?

Totally reasonable. But the reasons that I don't do that are (1) it's sometimes easier to see a gauge on a short hose in a tight configuration, since you can grab it and bend it wherever you want, and (2) most button gauges are lower quality than standard SPGs, and may fail stuck (I have seen that).

Haven't figured out how to reload at depth yet.... I don't check during dives except maybe the last one.

It's a good tool for developing all those instincts/understandings that you veterans take for granted. For example, in the beginning it was helpful to know how much O2 was being used on working part of the dive vs shallow stops, where I was relatively wasteful in keeping PO2 where it needed to be.

I like the info and it's pretty painless.

Yeah, I think that my position on this comes from the fact that I am terrified of wet rocks, so I don't do a lot of that sawtooth diving that burns through dil!.

So the question is, would transmitters really make a big difference, since you only looked once during the dive, right? It's not like doing an OC dive with a turn pressure, where the SPG controls the dive plan, and you need to monitor it....

I try to be in the habit of checking my dil/02 every 30m, and/or turn point, or just when I feel like it. I do admit as I get more hrs on my unit, I find myself checking less often.

For me at least, I have not really found a great configuration for my onboard SPGs. I have tried clipped to waist, over the shoulder inboard, and outboard, but neither is really great. And since I am already running a Nerd2.. the wireless AI seems like a natural O2ption.
:wink:

Haven't figured out how to reload at depth yet.... I don't check during dives except maybe the last one.

It's a good tool for developing all those instincts/understandings that you veterans take for granted. For example, in the beginning it was helpful to know how much O2 was being used on working part of the dive vs shallow stops, where I was relatively wasteful in keeping PO2 where it needed to be.

I like the info and it's pretty painless.

True. And that O2 consumption definitely drops with experience. As does dil usage.

I try to be in the habit of checking my dil/02 every 30m, and/or turn point, or just when I feel like it. I do admit as I get more hrs on my unit, I find myself checking less often.

For me at least, I have not really found a great configuration for my onboard SPGs. I have tried clipped to waist, over the shoulder inboard, and outboard, but neither is really great. And since I am already running a Nerd2.. the wireless AI seems like a natural O2ption.
:wink:

Yeah, I think that's one of the nice design features of the JJ. They are there when you need them but completely out of the way. Maybe if that wasn't the case, I would be more inclined to go wireless...

Since every poll has to have a post where some guy says that his thing isn’t there...

DiveCan integrated pressure sensors on the Controller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom