SPGs on CCRs

What sort of tank pressure monitoring system do you use on your CCR?

• Stock SPGs, Front Mounted

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Stock SPGs, Back Mounted

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Wireless transmitters

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Wireless transmitters and SPGs

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Button SPGs

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • None

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Other aftermarket SPGs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that IS a lot of dil! OK, I guess that makes more sense...

Right, I understand, I was just talking about why I wouldn't want that display there in the first place. But if you are using dil at that rate, I can see why you might want to be able to check it..

I did a straight week of diving down in NC last month on the rEvo. Blown out one day, so 12 dives (2 per day), each about an hour. Pretty much all at 110 - 115 feet. There, I was using more like 1200-ish (I think - maybe 1500) psi of dil for the whole day. But, swimming around the local lake going up and down constantly between 20 and 40 feet for a couple of hours and I burn through it a lot faster.

I'm still new. I use a lot of dil. Plus, when I go dive the local lake, the entire point is to practice my buoyancy, so I do a lot of going up and down at relatively shallow depths, so use more dil. I have gone through almost a whole 3L steel of dil in one day. I only did 2 dives yesterday and I think I used a bit over 2000 psi of dil (out of 3500).

Having the option to easily see my cylinder pressures is only an "additional distraction" if I choose to let it be. I absolutely do not have to set my NERD to display them...

What I have found is that I don't typically leave the NERD set to display them all the time. Once or twice during my dive, I will scroll over to check them and then go back to the main display or the compass. (and, by the way, swimming a heading using a NERD is The Bomb!).

Offboad dil is your friend. You'll dive for hours and your dil pressure barely drops. We did 6+ hours in one day on Bonaire with a single al40 as BO and I think I maybe used 250psi (and I'm still fairly new and a dil/oxygen hog).

I did a straight week of diving down in NC last month on the rEvo. Blown out one day, so 12 dives (2 per day), each about an hour. Pretty much all at 110 - 115 feet. There, I was using more like 1200-ish (I think - maybe 1500) psi of dil for the whole day. But, swimming around the local lake going up and down constantly between 20 and 40 feet for a couple of hours and I burn through it a lot faster.

Yup, and the cave divers also chime in when someone says that you don't need dil once you are at depth. Sometimes you need to go down to go up. It's fine to go up and down, especially when working on the notoriously annoying behavior of most CCRs in shallow water.

Offboad dil is your friend. You'll dive for hours and your dil pressure barely drops. We did 6+ hours in one day on Bonaire with a single al40 as BO and I think I maybe used 250psi (and I'm still fairly new and a dil/oxygen hog).

I'm not sure, but I think that would be somewhat of a pain on the rEvo. Offboard for dil in the loop would require a whip connection to one place and offboard for wing inflation would require a second whip, connected to a different place. That all sounds like a lot of extra hoses running around me.

Right now, my dil consumption is such that onboard, in a 3L steel, is plenty adequate for what I'm doing. It's really just practice days at the lake where I use a lot and will run it down low.

You should always have the ability to plug in offboard gas. Whether dil, O2, B/O, whatever. Being able to plug in gas gives you options. QC6's are your friend.

I'm not sure, but I think that would be somewhat of a pain on the rEvo. Offboard for dil in the loop would require a whip connection to one place and offboard for wing inflation would require a second whip, connected to a different place. That all sounds like a lot of extra hoses running around me.

Right now, my dil consumption is such that onboard, in a 3L steel, is plenty adequate for what I'm doing. It's really just practice days at the lake where I use a lot and will run it down low.

Yeah, +1 for what Johnny said. Even if you don't use QC6, just having the ability to plug your bailout and/or deco O2 into the loop using standard LP gives you options (maybe with more limited gas flow).

Not sure one the revo. It wasn’t a unit I ever looked at for the diving I do. I assumed there was some way to at least add an easy qc6. Based on my diving, I would never dive a unit that either wasn’t run off of offboard dil or had the option to plug into a qc6 for extra gas options. Something to consider.

Don't forget you can add dil via your BOV. Assuming you aren't one of those people who runs a BOV from an onboard 2-3L tank. Which I think is foolish but people rationalize that - somehow. In extreme cases you could take a sip of an offboard BO 2nd stage and exhale into the loop too.

On both of my units I can add dil or O2 from offboard. I can also add EAN50 deco gas in a pinch as an O2 source, if I run out of O2 before getting up to my dropped 20ft bottle in a cave. Or on an ocean dive where I only brought bottom BO and 50%.

That's customarily done with either a 2 or 3 outlet manifold
DGX LP Y-Block: 2 Port 3/8-Inch F = 1 Port 9/16-Inch F | Dive Gear Express®

I know at least one person whole runs dual O2 and all offboard dil on a revo. He's here on SB but forgetting his username to tag him here on how he runs his QC6s.

Hang on, y'all. I CAN plug offboard into my loop.

What I was saying is that, to run offboard for my dil would mean (I think - unless I'm missing something here, which is ENTIRELY possible) having my BO bottle filled with dil and slung on my left side. That's where I carry it (when only carrying 1 BO bottle), and I have a bungee loop, so I carry it SM-style.

Using that as my one and only source of dil would mean adding a 2nd whip to that 1st stage (on the BO) and running one of those whips across my chest to connect to the Offboard plug-in on my MAV, running another whip up to the power inflator for my wing, and then, possibly having a third whip on it that runs to my drysuit inflator.

Being able to do that when needed is one thing. Having all that as my normal process just seems like a lot of connections to make when gearing up and a lot of hoses running around me.

Back
Top Bottom