SPG and Computer on First Stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcus80

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to routing if I were to mount an AI computer and a mini SPG off an ATX200. The computer is a Suunto Cobra and the SPG is a Poseidon Cirrus on about a 30" Kevlar hose. Does anyone have the torque values for tightening these? It seems to just about seat itself and stop, and I certainly don't want to overtighten. Is the SPG just overkill? I kind of like the idea of redindancy in that department. Thanks for any input. Mark

Just good and tight. You don't have to force it. Get it good and snug and then give it another "oomph". It'll bottom out against the o-ring.

The problem you will have with the AI computer and the SPG is that most 1st stages have only 2 HP ports and they're located on opposite sides of the regulator. If you attach your computer to the left side then, by necessity, you'll have to run your hose for your SPG down your right side. That is unless your Cobra is hoseless, then you can mount the sending unit on the right side of the regulator and attach your SPG to the left side in the normal fashion.

Some people will say that an SPG and computer are overkill. I happen to disagree with that premise.

A dive watch or bottom timer and a redundant SPG can allow one to continue a PLANNED dive if the computer malfunctions. Some will say that you must abort the dive if the computer fails, but that's another premise with which I disagree.

Thanks for the input. The Cobra is not hoseless and is routed to the left, so I guess the SPG will have to go to my right. Can anyone reccomend a good watch/ bottom timer. I like the look of the Nereos from St. Moritz. It looks like a blacked out Citizen so someone must have some experience with it. Thanks. Mark

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Nereos

Don't know what your budget is, but the Citizen Hyper Aqualand is an excellent choice.

For about $240 you get an excellent watch/ depth gauge with the ability to log dives and output to a computer so that you can generate a dive log on your pc complete with a graph of each dive.

The Hyper Aqualand also gives you your average depth for each dive. Take your average depth for your dive and you can compute your SAC for each dive. Lets you know how you're progressing with respect to comfort and ease underwater based upon the amount of breathing gas you use.

Marcus80:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to routing if I were to mount an AI computer and a mini SPG off an ATX200. The computer is a Suunto Cobra and the SPG is a Poseidon Cirrus on about a 30" Kevlar hose. Is the SPG just overkill? I kind of like the idea of redindancy in that department. Thanks for any input. Mark

I had almost the same set up (ATX200, Suunto Cobra on left HP, SPG on right HP) for awhile (I was “between” computers and was borrowing a Cobra long-term). I used (and still do) an OMS G240 SPG. Get a good quality metal/glass-faced SPG if you can—avoid the small, plastic-faced kind as the plastic can sometimes become more and more opaque with age. Having a back-up depth gauge/bottom timer on your wrist (or as a feature on your dive watch) is a better idea IMHO.

The set up was ok but not ideal. I later bought an Oceanic Atom with a wireless transmitter (and returned the Cobra to its rightful owner) so now I have the SPG on the left side and one less hose.

Back
Top Bottom