Spent 3 hours at the doc's office today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had to go in for the yearly physical thing again. It was quite interesting.

My MD, who is a diver, and I are engaged again. I keep telling him if he kisses me I’m kicking HIS butt.

He did all his testing stuff and then we went over my test results from a heart study I’m involved with from the University Of Washington. I get tested every two years and the lower the score the better. I keep scoring Zero. It doesn’t get any better than that. Between that and having a high BP for me at 115/65 (stressed right now) I doing OK. He said if they took my test results and put a teenager’s name on it he would be healthy.

After all was said and done I now expect to get run over by a truck in the next few days.

Gary D.

:rofl:

...remember that I'm a doctor... and I can also get you a referral to Dr Ada Hyndlyck Poopenplenti...

MB:
...remember that I'm a doctor... and I can also get you a referral to Dr Ada Hyndlyck Poopenplenti...
ROAD CLOSED TAKE A DETOUR!!!!

This tunnel is exit only!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary D.

HUM From post falls is that near hum between spokane and Coeur D Alene if I remember right , I grew up on Lake Pend Oreille.
a town called bayview on David W Tyler navel base .

medic13:
HUM From post falls is that near hum between spokane and Coeur D Alene if I remember right , I grew up on Lake Pend Oreille.
a town called bayview on David W Tyler navel base .
Your remembering right. The southern half of Lake Pend Oreille is still my patrol area.

The Navy Sub Base is still there and it has just expanded. The rest of the base is history except for the Brig.

Gary D.

I had to visit the doctor this week. Last weekend, I had a sore back on Saturday morning, a hurting back on Sunday, butt and leg pain on Sunday night, and could not take the pain, nor could I walk on Monday.

Thursday's MRI revealed a large herniated disk. Looks like I may be out of commission for at least the beginning part of diving season.

More follow-up next week.

I have a prolapsed disc at L2-L3 with stenosis and had the same lumbar radiculopathy (pain radiating to anterior right thigh, right calf and right buttock), which is classic for L2-L3 herniation. Had facet joint injection, much physical therapy and narcotics (vicodin, followed by fentalyn patch) and still had pain to the extent that I could barely walk or stand. Last week, I had a day surgery procedure called variously radio frequency denervation and radio frequency rhizotomy where slender needles called cannulae are inserted in the back under twilight sedation, guided to the vicinity of the affected nerves near the spine by x-ray and fluoroscope and zapped with a microwave probe to 80 degrees C. It temporarily kills the nerve without affecting motor function and lasts for 6 to 20 months. Mine was a complete success, and I'm able to leave for my 9-day Coz trip on May 23 with no pain and anticipate completing the 18-20 dives I've scheduled.

Ask your doc about RFD. If a facet joint injection gives you short-term temporary symptomatic relief (as mine did), then RFD is almost certain to work.

<')///><

Johnathan:

I appreciate the information. I live in the Pittsburgh area which is fortuately a hot bed of medical research and development. I have not been hooked up with the neurosurgeon yet to discuss the situation, but the local news had a new procedure that sounds very similar to your procedure. They make a small incision and touch the buldged/ herniated area with a heat probe (180 degrees) and it apparently causes the disk to shrink back to original position. I have to wait until tomorrow to see what goes, but I probably couldn't even make it to physical therapy right now.

I will print your post and take it with me.

Thanks,

Dan

I had a similar problem about 3 and a half years ago. I woke up one moring with a terrible pain on the third finger on my left hand. I looked down, and there was this ring. AHHHHHH. Oh, I kid. I enjoy going to the doctor for wellness check ups.

Doc: So Josh, how ya feel today
Me: Fine Doc.
Doc: Great! See Lisa on your way out to set up your next appointment.

Sometimes we chit chat about fishing or hunting, but that's usually about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom