Speed Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make arrangements with ALL the other divers to commit Mutiny.
As soon as everyone hits the water, just take off in different buddy/team directions.
Let the DM's figure out how to screw you out of your dive then.
If they threaten to leave you in the future , then bring a wrench and take along a prop for your dive.

Just my two penneth, it's been my observation that (client) divers that get experienced enough, need a little more than the action of diving. This is to say, dependant on the individual, after a given number of dives the diver starts to become interested in other aspects of the hobby or, more likely, build on already established interests. "Follow my leader" is no longer enough. Speciality courses seem to cater for exactly this mode of behavior. Some edge towards "macro" sealife etc, some DPV, Wreck, Photography so on and so forth. Personally, i'm totally with Nemrod. To grab a DPV and go off as far as i can looking for what ever's there is my thing.

I studied from AOW to Dive Master at a VERY busy dive center through most of last year and durin this time i saw all levels of diver. From the dregs to the super experienced. The difficulty for professional staff (particularly new!) is to gauge the requirement of the group. This, i can tell you first hand, is an absolute art! A good DM/ Instructor that gauges the group and correctly caters for it's level of experience and compitance is already ahead of the game. One that can intuatively accomodate the special requirements of 20+ strangers is nothing short of a ledgend!
Help'em out by politely telling them what you want to do and explaining you're hopes for the dive.
Taking my Fin off would have got my attention very effectively! (I liked that one, i was constantly told to slow down as a DMT)
Even HAVING a requirement indicates you are of a fair level of experience.
I'm not defending the actions of a company that'd send 35 clients out with only one Dive Leader. Although, if all fully qualified, it shouldn't be a biggy, it's still crappy. But by the time it gets down to the level of the onboard crew, they just deal with it. ANY help offered by sensible experienced divers is greatly appreciated even if it's only the indication that you and your buddy don't need hand holding. Seeing you rig up and enter will be evidence enough to a watchful eye.

Corse there's always muppets that "know better". Speak up early rather than late and you just might avert a bad day if you're tactful. Just remember Billy Conolly's advice "No matter where you travel, never bother to pack an idiot! you'll always find plenty there!"
Regards
Dan

Diving is like sex - speed isn't necessarily a good objective and your buddy will probably complain.

Long way to go and not much time to get there

Explain this, why do some divers go so slow? What could they possibly get out of going so slow?

N

I tell students that the best way to cover a lot of ground underwater is to go dead slow. Water is thick, trying to push it aside requires effort, effort requires air.
Therefore: fast diver = less air time = less ground covered.
I usually demonstrate this at the end of a scuba tour. The speedy teenagers are constantly swimming around, exerting themselves and burning a terrific amount of air. When we surface, they usually grumble about the short dive time, and the attractions they missed. I then make them look at thier gauges again. 500-600 pounds. Then I show them my gauge, 1000 - 1200 pounds. I explain that they are lithe 16 year olds who can still run a few miles before lunch while I am a fat 50 year old codger. I then explain how slowly I swim, and how I extend my glide between every frog kick, and how I use less air swimming slowly, hence; how much more ground I cover.
Being 16 year olds, they never learn the lesson, however, I have done my best.
Why do I swim slowly? It's the only way to cover a lot of ground!
Oh yeah, as for the fast DM: you can try the trick I learned way early in my DM career. When the fast guy gets moving and I can't keep up, I sneak up behind them and latch onto their yoke. Then they are free to drag me all over. I have plenty of air when they finally give up.:D

My point precisely Don. I only thought to ask since the two words feature just below Dk's monika!
In the light of his thoughts with regard to buddies and his affiliation with the group, I enjoyed the irony and thought i'd share..........(thinking, perhaps, not being my strong suite)
I certainly agree with Instructor Casey's comments. Although with only one fin i'd just tangle you up doing circles!
Seriously, i learned my lesson when i realized i was having an impact on the happiness of the clients. I am very much there to enhance their vacation and these days "go fast" only on my own time.
My point was that any decent professional will (bloody should) feel the same. New guy's may need a reminder.

If i ever lead a group teenagers (God forefend!) i'll be sure to remember the reigns to hitch a tow!!

Dan

Last edited:
Unfortunately I developed my diving pace with my buddies and my wife.

After a couple trips to the Fla. keys and 2 trips to Bonaire I visited a place that put a DM in the water what a cool concept he would bang on his tank once in a while and point out something really cool (almost like he knew it was there). I went slower than the DM and way slower than the group. My wife and I go at our own pace and really don't care what pace others go at. I have sat and watched Reef squid for almost a whole dive.

Go at a pace that is comfortable for you. Ignore the others.

I love fast divers! The faster they are, the quicker they are away from me so I can enjoy my dive in peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom