Specific use camera/housing/flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What do you all recommend for use in the following conditions:

Deep, must be rated to at least 300'

Wrecks, so mostly wide-angle shots, little close up, no macro

Dark, including totally dark

What would it cost to get a setup like this?

Thanks

Light and Motion's Tetra housings are rated at 300ft. You can get one for an Olympus camera for about $900-1000 or so, I think. Plus about 350-400 for a 3mp Oly 3040. This housing, however, doesn't support the built-in strobe, you have to use an external one. As far as external strobes go, there may be a problem at that depth. I'm not aware of any strobes that have that high of a depth rating. Ikelite strobes are rated to 200ft, I think. Your best option at that depth may be to use a video light (LED or HID) instead of a strobe. This housing will also support an add-on lens.

If the 300ft of the Light&Motion rating isn't sufficient, consider the Chinook's Seal housing for the Canon S200. The S200 is only a 2mp camera, but the Seal housing is rated for 350ft and supports the built-in flash. You can get the housing and the camera together for $969 at OceanBrite. This housing, however, does not support an add-on lens. OceanBrite also sells video lights to be used with this (and probably any other) housing.

You can also try and research other housings, in case I missed something at DigiDeep

Hope this helps!

-Roman.

Oops... WW never did say he was looking at digital only, did he? Don't know why I just assumed it... Oh well. I guess there're a few more options if you go the film route vs. digital.

-Roman.

I didn't specify but I think digital would be preferable.

Tom

If you got $$$ to burn, check out the Gates housing for the Sony 5mp camera. It's wicked expensive (~$2k, I think, +cost of camera), but is rated to 450ft and can be had with a dedicated strobe specially designed for that housing. It also supports external lenses.

Since many digital cameras use pre-flash, the external strobe has to support it, which limits your options when it comes to finding one that can function that deep. Nikon digital cameras don't use preflash, I don't think, so if you can find a deep housing for a Nikon digicam, you may be able to use one of the strobes that Rax provided the llink to above.

-Roman.

The Gates is sweet. Unfortunately, cost is a factor.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to write another book but I'm having trouble finding good (and free) sources of u/w photos for it.

Cost would be deductable but that only helps so much....

Tom

Tom, you may want to go with a Nikon CoolPix 5000 ($800) with a Light&Motion Tetra5000 housing (330ft, $1500), and one of the strobes that Rax gave a link to. This setup isn't going to be cheap, though. Depending on the cost of the strobe you're looking at close to $3k. For that kind of money or a little (well, relatively. ~$300 or so, maybe?) more you can go with the Gates setup and the Sony camera. Or go the cheap route with the Canon S200 in a Seal housing and a video light for less than $1500 total. I would imagine that for book illustrations, 2mp should be more than sufficient. Wide-angle may be a problem, however.

-Roman.

Its mostly a pipe dream at this point anyway. I appreciate the advice.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom