Specific gear for Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harristom

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering taking an EAN class and doing some diving on nitrox. My console is air/nitrox ready. Aside from that can I use the same regulator set for both air and nitrox or do I have to have a separate set for each mixture?? Is there anything else that has to be "special" ?

The tank I will no doubt rent with the fill??

Just wondering
Thanx
Tom

Most regulators support up to 40% O2 out of the box, so you should be okay there. No need for a special set.

Your rental tanks should already be set up appropriately for the way that the shop offers nitrox (partial pressure or banked), so that should be taken care of for you.

Have fun in class, it's worth it.

You really don't need anything special.

You'll get a few comments on this, no doubt. Regulators will work just fine as they are with EAN 40% and below. No cleaning required.

Your tank on the other hand should be O2 clean. But, and here is the catch, if you are always getting your NITROX already mixed then you really don't have to have your cylinder O2 clean, although it's a good idea if it is.

If on the other hand, you have NITROX blended in your cylinder then you MUST have your cylinder O2 clean as your gas supplier will be putting 100% oxygen into your cylinder then topping it off with air. It's called partial pressure blending (PP).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom