Species You've Dived With and Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic White Tip- Aliwal Shoal: South Africa
Ragget Thooth Shark Grey/Nurse Shark - Aliwal Shoal: South Africa
Sand Shark- Aliwal Shoal: South Africa

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

White Shark-Gray's Reef GA (big surprise! Buddy was not amused! :))
Whale sharks (juveniles)-Lapaz Mexico
Tiger sharks-N. Bahamas/Gray's Reef GA
Lemon sharks- N. Bahamas/Jupiter FL
Great Hammerheads-N. Bahamas
Scalloped Hammerheads-Jupiter FL
Spinner Sharks-Jupiter FL
Bull Sharks- Jupiter FL/Panama City FL
Nurse Sharks-Everywhere from Savannah GA-FL-Bahamas-Mexico
Grey Reefs-Freeport Bahamas
Blacktips-Freeport Bahamas
Sandtigers-Moorehead City NC/ Panama City FL/Savannah, GA

Can't wait to see and find many many more!

BTW, Dr. Bill's DVD is really good! I learned alot!

Carolyn:shark2:

Man, I would kill to see a hammerhead shark!
Not necessary--all you have to do is scrape up $2400 for a Cocos Island Liveaboard. I guarantee the hammerheads. You'll probably also see silky, blacktip, and Galapagos sharks; maybe a tiger shark and a whale shark or two. What you do for the $2400 is up to you. :wink:

My list:

Whale shark: Richelieu Rock, Ko Phi Phi
Tiger shark: Yongala wreck
Bull shark: Blue Hole
Great hammerhead: Papua New Guinea, Belize
Scalloped hammerhead: Sipadan, Layang-layang, Cocos Island
Galapagos shark: Cocos Island
Silvertip shark: Coral Sea
Silky shark: Cocos Island
Blacktip shark (Carcharhinus limbatus): Cocos Island
Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus): Redang, Great Barrier Reef
Gray reef shark: Palau, etc.
Zebra (Leopard) Shark (Stegostoma fasciatum): Thailand
Whitetip reef shark (Triaenodon obesus): Cocos, etc.
Nurse shark: Palau, etc.

If you'd like to make your list longer, one good trip to Cocos and you might add whale, tiger, scalloped hammerhead, silvertip, blacktip, silky, and whitetip sharks. You'd almost certainly get at least three; our boat collectively saw all but the tiger shark, and we saw a lot of them.

I would really like to dive on Hammerhead sharks but do not fancy going out to the Galapagos or Cocos.

Can you think of anywhere where they can normally be seen no more than 24 hours from the UK ??

Great Hammerheads and Scalloped Hammerheads can be found on our Eastern Coast and the Gulf Coast here in the US. On the border between Georgia and Florida there is hammerhead nursery near Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island, usually in the late spring and early summer. It's amazing to see such small little sharks then become an amazing predator. Hammerheads for me seem to be the most elusive, but have made their presence known while I was spearing near Jupiter, FL. I have experienced large schooling groups when I dove in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico.

I hope to be diving the Isla of Socorro in the next 2 years. They have a great many species of sharks and the Shark Research Institute has expeditions to radio tag the Hammerheads and also observe the whale sharks there.
http://www.clubcantamar.com/english/liveaboard/socorro.php
http://www.clubcantamar.com/english/shark/index.html

Carolyn:shark2:

I would really like to dive on Hammerhead sharks but do not fancy going out to the Galapagos or Cocos.

Can you think of anywhere where they can normally be seen no more than 24 hours from the UK ??

Mickey

As a Brit working in Taiwan, I often fly direct from LHR to Taiwan, or via HK, and it's easy to get here in less than 24 hours, then take a domestic flight and get to Green Island here - where if you time it right (Jan to March) - you dive into schools of Hammerheads.

Hammerhead Shark Scuba Diving off Green Island, Taiwan: Diving Vacations

In the event you take that option, help via the web link address can be provided, and I've contacts elsewhere in Taiwan for seeing the best dive sites out here, so drop a PM and happy to advise.

Cheers

PS: I should add that I'm nothing to do with that website, and reading the write up don't think it is so clever - but nevertheless, Hammerheads can be found off Green Island, Taiwan.

Last edited:
Thx Wantonmien and lives4sharks for your advice

Mickeyl

I may be forgetting a species, and am probably forgetting a location or two, but here's what I can recall off the top of my head:

* nurse shark: Belize; Roatan Honduras
* tawny nurse shark: Tubbataha Philippines
* bull shark: North Carolina USA; Bat Islands (Islas Murcielagos) Costa Rica; Chumphon Pinnacle (Koh Tao) Thailand
* sand tiger shark: North Carolina USA
* whale shark: Koh Haa, Thailand; Chumphon Pinnacle (Koh Tao) Thailand
* whitespotted bamboo shark: Pattaya Thailand
* horn shark: Catalina Island (California) USA
* whitetip reef shark: Osa Peninsula Costa Rica; Tubbataha Philippines
* blacktip reef shark: Koh Tao Thailand; Tubbataha Philippines
* leopard shark: a number of sites on the west coast of Thailand
* gray reef shark: Chumphon Pinnacle (Koh Tao) Thailand; Tubbataha Philippines

Hoping to add scalloped hammerheads to the list in February at Green Island in Taiwan, assuming that my buddy Ambertiger has enough divers interested in it to organize a trip during the Chinese New Year holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom