Specialized Drysuit under-garments or ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raddog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
New to the whole drysuit thing, and I am wondering if I need the speciality drysuit garments, or if I can use polartec pants, or snow-sports type insulation gear. Typically I will be diving in Nor Cal, Monterey, Sonoma, etc. Suggestions about the weight of the garments (200, 400) necessary for the area is also much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

I started with Polartech from Cabela's or LL Bean. Several layers of 100 or 200 on top, and one layer of 400 pants. Underarmor wicking layer next to my skin. It worked well but I eventually went with 4th element to get the same or better warmth with less bulk, which gave me better flexibility. In water temps of low to high 40s I layer the Arctic over the Xerotherm. High 40s to high 50s the Arctic alone, high 50s or over I use the Xerotherm alone. If I had it to do over I would have started with the 4th element, it costs more but really works better for diving.

Well I am no expert; I just play one on ScubaBoard :whistling:

What I have learned is that the major benefits of specialty undergarments are that they stay warm when wet, they fit better with the same brand drysuit allowing good range of motion (sometimes and if sized right), and they don’t block the exhaust valve. I have seen people use off the shelf cotton sweat suits but if they get wet that could be a problem and they don’t wick moisture from your body so they won’t stay warm long if you get too warm (think surface interval). Thinsulate garments with a good base layer is very popular. Many, including myself, have had pretty good luck with no-name brand undergarments from Rondal on Ebay. I have his two layer polartech garment. Many people seem to consider the Weezles to be the best, but one of my dive buddies said while it was very warm (even when wet), it did fluff up and interfere with the exhaust valve (some duct tape might fix that). I guess the bottom line is that you can obtain undergarments that work as well as the specialty ones as long as you give it some thought and research.

There are two qualities in which diving-specific undergarments excel: Amount of insulation for the amount of weight you have to carry to sink the garment, and staying warm when wet. As anybody who has owned a drysuit for very long knows, you WILL eventually get wet -- and if you're thirty minutes' swim from shore and wet in sub 50 degree water, you will be very, very cold by the time you reach shore (I know this from personal experience). If your undergarments don't insulate well when wet, this could be a dangerous situation.

I started, as so many people do, with multiple layers of fleece garments bought for other purposes. When I bought my first diving-specific undergarments, I was delighted with the improvement in warmth AND the weight I could drop.

I have to 2nd TSandM. One thing, though, that has not been mentioned is that the more garments you layer, the more flexibility you lose. So eventually, and this is an extreme example, you will look like the younger brother from "A Christmas Story" on his way to school! :doh2:

So while they can be expensive, they are worth it in terms of flexibility and movement.

If you're diving in moderate temperatures - 60s and 70s - then fleece is fine.

When you get into the colder temps, like NorCal - what TSandM said.

undergarments also depend on the drysuit. I am still sporting a 5mm titanium lined ds from 2001 I had custom made. I wear a polyester long sleeved tee, a non-fluffy fleece, & polyester pants - smooth on the outside ~ a bit fluffy inside. Winters are 45F and I am fine. If it's really cold on the surface I might add another polyester short sleeved shirt. My next ds might be a crushed neoprene or maybe a fusion. I guess I take too good of care of stuff...

I never know if I'm wet for sure until after the dive is over. Sometimes I'm just sweaty :)

I use a couple of undergarments from Rondal on Ebay. The 2 layer 250g works just fine for water temps down to about 55 degrees or so. I also have a single layer 250 g undergarment from the same source which is good for warmer water. Good quality and great price.I have a DUI 450 g suit for the Great Lakes. I got it at a good price, but could have bought two or three undergarments from Rondal for the price.

Mark01

I recomend the fourth element. It's a great undergarment and it's less bulky. I use the Arctic and dive in waters as low 40F. If you tend to get cold eaily you may want to put the Xerotherm under it and you should be fine. The bare undergarments are also nice niver dove them I just prefer the fourth element top/bottom

I have personally dove with my Ski/Snowboarding Pants "columbia" which is made from same material as the fourth element subzero problem I had was getting the suit on the pants would roll up and it the suit itself liked to hold the air in and slow to get it out. However once I get it on and in I was warm.

As someone once said, so sagely, DS undergarments have three desirable qualities: warmth, low bulk and affordability. Alas, you can only get two such qualities at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom