Special inflator/deflator for bcd needed, no airtrim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A disabled diver contacted me about starting technical diving. A complete healthy person, but only some things that normal people can do and this diver not. I am a person that thinks in possiblities and not in impossiblities. Where this ends, we both don't know. The first dive will be a confined session with 'technical equipment'.
The wheelchair will not be a problem. BUT: the diver is now using a normal bcd with an 'airtrim', Aqualung Pearl I3. This means a big button or handle to inflate and deflate the bcd. A normal inflator/deflator has too small buttons. It is impossible to use them.
The diver has a special made inflator on the drysuit, a big button like the ones that are used for doors. This works well.
But on the I3, no twinset can be fitted and it is not made for sidemount. So we look for better options. My harnasses for a backplate or sidemount only have normal inflators.
So now I am looking for an idea to make the buttons of the inflator and deflator (1 piece) BIGGER. Glue something on it, or? Who has an idea?

The buttdeflator I already have an idea: I can make it longer with some line and put a golfball on it and make it on a D-ring on the chest. Then it is just an easy pull.

For now no discussion about abilities to handle valves (valvedrills), share gas, handle the more heavy equipment. This will be the next thing. First the inflator/deflator must be suitable for this diver.
Who has an idea?

Last edited:
Since you apparently don't want an Airtrim - although actually the only model still sold using one is the Hynrid and it won't take doubles - the only other brand offering a lever inflator is Aqualung but I don't believe any of their line can take doubles either.

fyi Airtrim is what Mares calls their system - I3 is Aqualung's name.

And all the I3's are integrated into the bc since they also use proprietary flat valves plus mechanical linkages to operate them - it's not something you could add on to a different bc.

If you could somehow glue useful big buttons to a conventional inflator some of the Zeagle or Scubapro line offer right shoulder dumps which might help with the other issue. Some like the Ranger take twins with an adapter plate or you can use their bp/w with the harness.

Call Zeagle also - some years ago they configured a bcd for a left arm amputee.
Maybe they have some ideas.

Zeagle's normal inflator is also a left shoulder pull dump.

What about weakening the springs in a conventional inflator - is the problem the pressure needed or the size?

I saw a diver once who had limited use of his fingers - he used an I3 and had added small disks to his dump pulls above the knobs - they were about 3" across so easier to pull.

Also maybe Diveheart has some ideas.

hth,

Last edited:
how big of button is "big enough".

upload_2018-6-27_12-56-42.png

ScubaPro BPI

I was wondering about the button size, too. Regular dive buddy has an I3 (I destest it and would get rid of it if I could!). The lever size seems the same or smaller compared to buttons on a regular power inflater head

The showed inflator has sadly too small buttons. You have to be too strong to use them.
The I3 works well, but you cannot put twin85's on it. The diver now uses this BCD. Maybe we can translate it into something 'sidemount'? Of course we can make something with stages dangling and then it is redundant and fits within standards, but a backplate/wing or sidemountharnass/wing is more suitable for this. The lift of the Pearl I3 in M is only 14kg. Enough for 4 ali 80's, but not for a steel twin85. The Mares Airtrim is also not suitable for a twinset.

I also think a backmount twinset will be too hard to do a valvedrill. If you cannot use your fingers for 100%, this will be too hard. In sidemounts it can be done. The bungees will then be a problem I guess, but that is next step (using boltsnaps and accept less streamlined?)

I think about glueing a bigger button on an inflator. And make the hose longer. Then there is theoretically no dumpvalve needed on the butt.

The drysuit has already a big button placed on the normal inflatorbutton. And this works.

You might be able to get someone to make some delrin buttons at a machine shop. Just swap the buttons on the inflator with the custom ones.

I believe - but do not know for certain - that Airtrim buttons are pneumatic so the force required to overcome the air pressure resistance on the inflate side might be too much.

I assume from your description this is a lady diver. What's the biggest lift available in an Aqualung I3 BCD?

You might ask a dealer if it's possible to swap wings - maybe put an XL wing on the Lotus and modify the tank holder somehow? I've not seen one in detail to know if this is possible.

I think you could relatively easily glue a handle of some sort directly to the existing I3 handle to make it wider but not especially longer as that might be a problem in use.

whatever you come up with is likely going to have to be custom - I doubt you'll find a solution in existing gear options.

Don't sidemount divers turn off the tank valve they're not using? can she do that?

Last edited:
How much lift do you need? The I3 Dimension has 50lbs. - assuming the larger wing can be mated to the appropriate sized jacket - and the tank mounting changed. It seems to have the most lift of the I3 compatible models.

Zeagle sells a twin mounting kit that's basically two screws, wingnuts and small metal plates - it's possible something like that could be modified to work on the Aqualung also.

but not for a steel twin85.
And this is necessary?

I'm honestly asking for an explanation...

Last edited:
Might it be feasible to depress normal buttons by using the whole ar strength if something like a "chest pin" was rigged to the harness and if the inflator length allows it? Instead of depressing a button by finger strength, grab the inflator and push it (with the right button against the chest pin) with full arm strength. Of course it might help if there were guide in features and if it was crystal clear which button is going to be depressed...

In principle so, might that sort of approach help?

Back
Top Bottom