Spearo dead after hospital delays - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies as hospital squabbles - KwaZulu-Natal | IOL News | IOL.co.za
Durban - A Durban spearfisherman died while his friend escaped unscathed after they got into difficulty in a vicious riptide while diving near a popular spot in Brighton Beach on Sunday afternoon.
The Queensburgh man, whose identity has not yet been released, had a faint pulse when he was pulled out of the water by lifeguards on duty around 5pm.
But after being resuscitated on the beach, the spearfisherman was taken to King Edward Hospital, but left untreated for 45 minutes by the hospital staff who allegedly refused to treat him, according to a paramedic, who has sent a letter of complaint to the KZN Health MEC.

He was admitted to hospital around 6pm on Sunday but died from “secondary drowning” shortly after midnight.

A metro police officer who was at the beach, and who cannot be named because he is not authorised to speak to the media, said that the surviving diver had said that the pair had got into trouble while diving in front of the rocks.
“The current was strong and had taken them out about 150m.”
He said that the diver said that they dived there often.
“Sea conditions can be rough and very dangerous,” he said.
He said the surviving diver had been “fine physically” but would not recover mentally for a long time.
“He lost his friend of 20 years right in front of him ...”
The survivor was too traumatised to speak to the Daily News.
But he commended the lifeguards for their quick response and repeated attempts to revive his friend.
Garrith Jamieson, a Rescue Care paramedic who treated the man at the scene and rushed him to King Edward Hospital, alleged that staff at the hospital argued for 45 minutes on whether or not to admit him.
During that time, according to his letter of complaint, the paramedics continued to give him life support. At one stage they had run out of oxygen, and nurses refused to give them any, and they had to fetch more from the ambulance.
King Edward hospital staff allegedly told Jamieson to take the man to Wentworth Hospital as they did not have a ventilator machine at their medical emergency ward. But Jamieson pointed out that he had seen at least three unused ventilators in the hospital’s trauma unit when they had brought the patent in.
Jamieson refused to leave with the patient, telling doctors and nurses that the diver was critical and moving him to another hospital could cost him his life.
He also told staff that they had superior medical equipment to treat a drowning victim than that at Wentworth Hospital.
“Eventually after arguing with them (for 45 minutes) a head of department emerged and admitted him,” Jamieson said.
But the diver died
later that night.
The drama began shortly before 5pm on Sunday when the spear fisherman who had been diving with a friend got caught a vicious rip current shortly before 5pm just as they were making their way back to shore.
A pair of lifeguards spotted one of the diver’s struggling in the water and dashed to rescue him. They pulled him out of the water and onto the shore where they began mouth to mouth resuscitation.
The other diver managed to swim to safety.
Jamieson said they received multiple emergency calls from members of the public about the drama on the beach.
“Paramedics arrived on scene to find the life guards doing CPR. Advanced life Support intervention was performed and the patient was placed on a manual ventilator whilst resuscitation efforts continued.”
Jamieson said after 30 minutes of resuscitation paramedics felt a faint pulse.
“He was immediately immobilised on a special stretcher and rushed to King Edward Hospital,” he said.
He said the battle to admit the critical man at King Edward Hospital was also witnessed by a metro policeman.
He said the squabble over whether to admit the man at first centred around which ward he would be treated.
“One of the staff said ‘trauma ward’, another said ‘medical emergency ward’. Eventually it was decided on the latter. The doctors there said there was no ventilator and I should take him to Wentworth Hospital. I dug my heels and refused.
“I even called the matron on duty and she said we must take him to Wentworth. But I refused and let them know how I felt,” Jamieson said.
He said he told staff that the patient was critical and needed urgent medical care, informing them that the law required hospitals to at least stabilise a patient before transferring them.
He alleged that hospital staff called him a racist for refusing to listen to them.
The KZN Department of Health had not responded to queries by the Daily News at the time of going to press.
Brighton Beach Detective Warrant officer Brett Cullen arrived at the scene shortly after the diver had been resuscitated.
Although the man had not been breathing for 20 minutes, paramedics and lifeguards at the scene continued to perform CPR on him in an effort to get him breathing again, he said.

Last edited:
It's 11km between those two hospitals so the paramedic spends 45 minutes arguing with them when he could have spent ... let's call it 8, moving the patient as requested.

I'm thinking we're not hearing the whole story here.

R..

sad news .........what is the problem?

what is the problem?
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps the problem may be hospital employees apparently refusing to provide emergency care in what is clearly a life-or-death situation? </sarcasm>

Around here, hospitals are required by law to provide necessary emergency care. And AFAIK, that's not particularly special in most more-or-less civilized parts of the world. Either South Africa doesn't have a law like that, or the hospital employees may well have broken the law. Whether or not the death could have been avoided if the hospital had handled the situation differently is impossible to ascertain, but refusing admission like that is, IMO, way beyond... Well, way beyond most things.

I think the Paramedic did a great job acting as a advocate for his patient and at no time should he have considered leaving one hospital to go to another hospital. I am sorry the patient passed but the fault lies with the hospital and not the Paramedic . I also think that unless you have walked in the Paramedics shoes and made these kind of decesions its easy to be an armchair quaterback .
I also have a feeling that the Paramedic will be following up on this all the way to the top, Once again kudos to the medic for a great job doing the best he could with what he had

Just my 02

Was this a race/religion/culture thing? Was the victim the "wrong" color?

Peter
I am trying to get in contact with the Paramedic and see what the details are but I can tell you this even happens in the US from time to time .

Cheers

Very confusing report, and difficult to make sense of it.
1. Arguing whether to admit him or not?? Does this imply they thought he was well enough to be sent home? It does to me on first reading, but was clearly not the case
2. Not breathing for 20 minutes, paramedics continued to resuscitate him, place on a portable ventilator does this mean he was intubated and ventilated?
3. Was he admitted to ICU?
4. Was this a preventable death, or an unsuccessful resuscitation, because of prolonged hypoxia?
5. What happened in the 6 hours that he was in hospital before he died.
Initial reading makes one jump to conclusions, but I think the facts are not clear. Everything is focussed on a 45 minute period in ED, but a lot happened before and after that period that is probably more relevant.
This is a major university teaching hospital, and should have all the capabilities to deal with this case. The only indication to transfer a critically ill patient, is to a centre with better facilities diagnostic or therapeutic than the current facility, or if the ICU is full, after stabilisation, transfer to an ICU bed at another hospital would be justified.
Would love to get more objective, and less emotive details on this case, because the way the media report it is very misleading. My experience with media is they write the story they want to write and select only the facts that support their version of events! Cardinal rule:- never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom