Speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey I was planning on getting a new supergun this summer and I was wandering if it was better to get a

Hammerhead Evolution^2, Aluminum Barrel Speargun, Made in Hawaii​

120 or 130 cm gun or a wooden gun that same size and if its better to get a wooden gun what are some good suggestions?

Noobspearo22

As with most things gear related, you will get a lot of different responses.

Assuming you will be on SCUBA, do you plan on chest or hip loading? IMHO, this is the starting point. I hip load, so a longer butt is ideal FOR ME.
I have a Biller as well as a pneumatic (another animal). Ocean Rhino is on my want list.
Plenty of fine guns out there, but some are designed for freediving, others mostly SCUBA.
If possible, I would go into a shop that stocks guns and try loading some.
Next up, what are you planning on shooting? Where?
130 is big, but nothing wrong with it.

There are others on here with a lot of experience that I hope will chime in.

I got a 120mm roller for open water fishing and a 70mm for reef/mangrove fishing and a 6-10ft polespear for closer range

Hey I was planning on getting a new supergun this summer and I was wandering if it was better to get a

Hammerhead Evolution^2, Aluminum Barrel Speargun, Made in Hawaii​

120 or 130 cm gun or a wooden gun that same size and if its better to get a wooden gun what are some good suggestions?

Noobspearo22
We offer a selection of spearguns, you might consider as well.

Of primary importance is to match the gun with the conditions you are diving in and the fish you are targeting.

In general you want a big gun for clear water and a shorter one for lower visibility.

We sell wood guns as well as aluminum barrel guns, each has their proponents. A good hand made wood gun is generally going to cost more. If you are unsure about the general type of gun and size, it might be beneficial if you share some more information and we can point you in the right direction.

thanks
dano

getting a new supergun

Just like your 1st action camera and your 1st cell phone,,,,,,,,no one keeps using the very 1st speargun they buy if they enjoy the activity.

Buy a gun>>>>any gun>>> and start taking a minimum of 10 shots every dive..even if you are just practicing shooting a spot on the sand and quickly reloading. After your 1st season you'll figure out what frustrates the heck out of you that you want to solve and you'll hopefully find out what type of fish you really enjoy shooting (big/small/reef/pelagic/etc). Then you'll buy your 2nd gun and it will become your favorite.

Pensacola many times has 30ft low viz and mid water fish come flying out of the shadows and swim past you side to side quickly. A 52 inch (130cm) rear handle gun is extremely difficult to swing(ie target track) quickly to get a head shot and not destroy the meat. A 48" mid handle with a palm on the gun butt has a much better setup to get an accurate headshot.

Speargunning on scuba that, doesn't sound like cricket to me!

These don't seem like the best analogy since they are both technology driven. My first gun was a .22 rifle my Dad showed me how to shoot. I still have that gun and love to squirrel hunt with it 45 years later. Many folks have their first guns decades later. I think a well thought out Spear gun purchase is no different. If he goes into a good shop and tries them out, as others have stated, he'll walk out with a fine gun he may use for the rest of his life. Just my .02.

Just like your 1st action camera and your 1st cell phone,,,,,,,,no one keeps using the very 1st speargun they buy if they enjoy the activity.

We offer a selection of spearguns, you might consider as well.

Of primary importance is to match the gun with the conditions you are diving in and the fish you are targeting.

In general you want a big gun for clear water and a shorter one for lower visibility.

We sell wood guns as well as aluminum barrel guns, each has their proponents. A good hand made wood gun is generally going to cost more. If you are unsure about the general type of gun and size, it might be beneficial if you share some more information and we can point you in the right direction.

thanks
dano
Hi Dano,
Josh has been handling my big order but I sent emails on Tuesday of some small concerns and missing items and I haven’t gotten a response. Thanks!

Antony

Antony:

Very sorry about our lack of response. If it is not too inconvenient, please pm me your phone number and I will have someone call you back right away. We may not be able to get a full resolution/answer until our staff is back in the office and online- Monday , but I do want to make sure your concerns are addressed immediately.

Thanks
dano

Back
Top Bottom