Speargun Loading Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry

Reaction score
FredT, If I could prod you for a little more information - how do the two guns (rear vs. midhandle) compare in terms of loading (i.e. easy/difficult) and technique. More to the point - I have heard that midhandle guns are more difficult to load because they require loading off the stomach vs. hip. Thanks for your advice.

The rear handle version I have only has 80 pound bands on it though, so I take it where significant fish aren't expected. It only costs about 200 PSI to load underwater. The big blue water midhandle has 120# bands so it's a bit harder to load anyway and costs about 300 psi for a full load.

If bands are properly trimmed the bands need to be "final cocked" with the butt on the chest anyway to get the mechanical advantage necessary for the "second grunt." Pull the rear band quickly to the first notch, then move butt to chest and pull it the rest of the way. Repeat with band 2. The last band lives in the first notch anyway. On the rigs the attitude is that if you can cock the gun on the hip or gut, the bands are too long. We make our own bands, so each band is trimmed to length for maximum force.

FT

Back
Top Bottom