Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO it's ok in areas where recreational divers don't go and if its not in a marine sanctuary.

however i still would like to see that the spearfishing sport is still observed under some rules to avoid excessive or abusive practices.

hmmmm the fair game i know of are at depths of 190ft.

size: as huge as a car.
special procedures : make sure you don't get carried away by them once they swim away.

paolov:
hmmmm the fair game i know of are at depths of 190ft.

size: as huge as a car.
special procedures : make sure you don't get carried away by them once they swim away.
yup, heard of 1 or 2 divers who went to heaven by hanging on to their expensive spearguns and being pulled by the speared big fish.

I think that hunting the fish yourself, no matter how you do it, gives the fish a fairer chance than buying one caught by a professional does.

That said, Pao, keep it up and I'll have to buy a speargun. And if I do, my wife will probably use it on me for buying so much SCUBA equipment. :11:

Given the time restraints on air and the depths I beleive you need to go to, to get fish that are worth while wouldn't you say that it is fair??? In most respects it is we divers going into their realm. A thirty kilo tuna at 160ft will actually come up to you and shake your hand. Now if you have the guts to shoot that in its own environment go ahead.

As someone on these posts have said, many a spearfisherman has gone to heaven, was it?

Then you are using a spear. Ever try hunting for dear with a bow and arrow. Well the guys with the bows dont have air and time restraints.

As for freediving spearfishermen, I have to give it to these guys. These guys are really good.

cebudiver:
Given the time restraints on air and the depths I beleive you need to go to, to get fish that are worth while wouldn't you say that it is fair??? In most respects it is we divers going into their realm. A thirty kilo tuna at 160ft will actually come up to you and shake your hand. Now if you have the guts to shoot that in its own environment go ahead.

As someone on these posts have said, many a spearfisherman has gone to heaven, was it?

Then you are using a spear. Ever try hunting for dear with a bow and arrow. Well the guys with the bows dont have air and time restraints.

As for freediving spearfishermen, I have to give it to these guys. These guys are really good.
I didn't say many, I said one or two divers.

Spear? I'm not talking about a medieval spear. A Spearfisherman uses a speargun in here in Luzon, what do you call it in your "neck of the ocean"?

And I believe the proper term is "constraints" not "restraints"; unless of course the diver's hands are cuffed or the diver is tied up with a rope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom