Spearfishing Tenkiller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahaught

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be spearfishing at Tenkiller this weekend and am wanting to know where to go. We have a boat and have fished the lake the old fashioned way for 15 years, but not for catfish. I saw one catfish on the south side of Strayhorn island about 3 weeks ago, other than that it has been all Bass. Maybe Mudhole will tell me where he and his buddy got those big ones in the picture.

ahaught:
I will be spearfishing at Tenkiller this weekend and am wanting to know where to go. We have a boat and have fished the lake the old fashioned way for 15 years, but not for catfish. I saw one catfish on the south side of Strayhorn island about 3 weeks ago, other than that it has been all Bass. Maybe Mudhole will tell me where he and his buddy got those big ones in the picture.

Give away a secret spot. . . not me :D Pick up a good lake map that shows the old river chanel. . . check out each of these places where the old river chanel turns or creates the bluffs. Where these bluffs end and the gradual slope is 20 to 30 feet. Quickly scan those areas for bait fish. . . sunfish, minnows or shad. When you find the feeder fish, look for bass or other predators, the flathead will be there feeding. When the cat is hunting they may be out in the open with their color matching the bottom, or they may be near trees or rocks, hiding in crevases. Flatheads favor logs that they can lay up in the branches, or stumps they can lay under. Don't Touch Any Part of the log before you've looked underneath. . . cats are very sensitive to vibration through that log. The first 3 islands near the dam usually don't produce many cats, I think there are too many divers for the small number of hiding places. Most of our fish come from outside Pine Cove to just south of Cookson, again where the old riverbed comes close to shore. Good luck, and watch out for some of the crazy boaters that will be there this weekend. :wink:

GOOD PLACE TO GO SPEARFISHING ON LAKE TENKILLER IS AROUND THE DOCKS AND THE CLIFTS

Back
Top Bottom