spearfishing in puerto morales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hilderwa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm headed to the Riviera Maya from 4/27 to 5/2 staying at the Dxcellence Riviera Cancun. I'm planning on doing some diving with Dive Puerto Morelo (based on previous posts) and was wondering if there was any spearfishing to do out there and who to do it with? Thanks in advance.

I've been diving with DPM for the past 4 years. Contact them directly and ask. But I'm absolutely sure the entire reef is a national park and wildlife preserve, no hunting. You can't even wear a knife. Heck, you can't even wear gloves because they don't want you touching anything. There may be some place they know of where hunting is allowed but I doubt it.

Scott Riemer:
I've been diving with DPM for the past 4 years. Contact them directly and ask. But I'm absolutely sure the entire reef is a national park and wildlife preserve, no hunting. You can't even wear a knife. Heck, you can't even wear gloves because they don't want you touching anything. There may be some place they know of where hunting is allowed but I doubt it.
DPM would know for sure, as you say. Interesting when I was there October '04 there were several local spearfishermen on the Puerto Morelos dock as we were heading out for our dive. They had just come back in with their catch. Apparently they sell to the local restaurants. Bret told me if I wanted some excellent fresh seafood I could also purchase from them. I don't know where they were fishing, though, and it's possible that they had special permits.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom